Sheffield LIDAR mapping

RichardS

https://www.lidarfinder.com/

Its acutally England and Wales wide. Its free with no registration or anything and very good, take a look at the clarity of Wincobank 'hillfort', the boundry ditches are so clear.

Point out any good finds.

Hmm, I just see a blank light gray screen with the logo "Current location is unavailable" top centre.

You can also change the layers in the settings, set at 1m but you can get more clarity by lowering it (subject to availability.).

52 minutes ago, MartinR said:

Hmm, I just see a blank light gray screen with the logo "Current location is unavailable" top centre.

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as MartinR. I've tried Richard's resolution but it doesn't work.

Cheers, Paul

Pressing F11 just results in my whole screen being blank.  Since there is no "settings" menu displayed I can't change the resolution.  Are you viewing it on a tablet or phone?  I'm using a desktop.

Desktop computer, using Chrome as the browser.

Just tried internet explorer, got the same error message as above, went into settings turned on allow location and allow apps and websites to use location and that then worked in internet explorer.

OK, you meant the browser preferences, not the website settings.  I've allowed lidarfinder to request my location (preferences > Privacy & Security > Permissions > Location) and even (briefly) turned off the Trackers block.  For a few moments I saw the Lidar for Stonehenge, but then it grays out again.  Browser is Firefox Quantum 68.8.0esr, OS is CentOS 7.8.2003.  Is there any sort of help page on the site?  Thanks.

Not that I can see Martin, the site defaults to stonehenge at the beginning, so you're not far off, have you tried Chrome or IE?

I don't have Chrome installed, and IE won't run under anything but Windows.  I have tried Vivaldi and Konqueor with the same results, so I'm guessing the site is doing something nasty that higher security browsers block.  Not uncommon I might add!  Thanks for your time anyhow, Martin.

I've got it at last!  I ran up a couple of VMs.  CentOS8 wouldn't play, as I would expect, but Win10 could be unlocked enough to let it work.  It's "edge" not IE, and you have to follow the prompts allowing all sorts of permissions, but I got there eventually.  I'm not too worried about the security, being in a VM it's well sandboxed and I can always rebuild it if needed.

Can someone give me an absolute dummies guide to what LIDAR is?

Is it so you can spot things like ancient grounds etc?

9 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Can someone give me an absolute dummies guide to what LIDAR is?

Is it so you can spot things like ancient grounds etc?

From the blurb on the site:

Help

Click a subject to view help.

-  

What is LIDAR?

LIDAR is a technology which uses laser light to create a 3D representation of the earth's surface. It can be used to find archaeological features which are not immediately visible from the ground or through traditional satellite images.

DSM LIDAR

DSM (Digital Surface Modelling) includes all terrain and above-terrain features (e.g. buildings, trees etc).

DTM LIDAR

DSM (Digital Terrain Modelling) includes only terrain features and filters out above-terrain items. It can be useful in situations such as when researching a heavily wooded area.

• Thanks 1

Im using Safari on an iPad, just a blank gray screen.

I switched to using the duckduckgo browser and it works first time :)

36 minutes ago, Oldbloke said:

You have to allow the site to track your location, or it goes blank.

The site obviously has some problems because in my case it is the other way round. I am outside of the areas covered so if I let it track my location it goes blank, but if I just ignore the tracking it works fine. Unfortunately this means I need to use a browser that doesn't have a large pop up box to ask about tracking or one which allows me to close the box. In my case Vivaldi, Konqueror and Falkon are the best and I just choose the location I want to see using the search box.

16 minutes ago, boginspro said:

The site obviously has some problems because in my case it is the other way round. I am outside of the areas covered so if I let it track my location it goes blank, but if I just ignore the tracking it works fine. Unfortunately this means I need to use a browser that doesn't have a large pop up box to ask about tracking or one which allows me to close the box. In my case Vivaldi, Konqueror and Falkon are the best and I just choose the location I want to see using the search box.

Odd. When I did get to look I really wasn't that impressed. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong places.

1 hour ago, Oldbloke said:

Odd. When I did get to look I really wasn't that impressed. Maybe I was just looking in the wrong places.

I had a look at Longley Park - reasonably interesting, you can see the old field layouts and which way the fields were ploughed.  They can't have been ploughed for arable crops in the last 100 years.  Shame that Crowder House is underneath the semis though.  I thnk too much of our area is built up for the system to show much round Sheffield?