Birds Midland Hotel

tozzin

I've just been researching my next project, the Prudential Assurance Building on Pinstone Street, for a year after it was built part of it was used as a Hotel, seems it was run by a Mr Bird, after a dispute with Prudential he left the building, I've found listings that he had the Howard Restaurant in 1901 but there is no address, he also had a Restaurant at 25 Chapel Walk, while living at 21 Joshua Road, hes also listed at 28 Pinstone Street, could be he opened up here after leaving the Prudential building also I`ve found a Joseph Bird a grocer & beer retailer, 39 Haywood rd could he be a  brother or son. All these listing are from 1901, there is a reference to a George Bird who was a partner in the Carter, Milner & Bird at the Hope Brewery on Mowbray Street, this company was closed on the deaths of Milner and Bird BUT George Bird`s son did restart the brewery in 1921 and in 1938 the Old Hope Brewery was closed down and production was transferred to a new site at Claywheels Lane .

If anyone has any info on the Birds or the Restaurants mention I would be obliged .

1 hour ago, tozzin said:

I've just been researching my next project, the Prudential Assurance Building on Pinstone Street, for a year after it was built part of it was used as a Hotel, seems it was run by a Mr Bird, after a dispute with Prudential he left the building, I've found listings that he had the Howard Restaurant in 1901 but there is no address, he also had a Restaurant at 25 Chapel Walk, while living at 21 Joshua Road, hes also listed at 28 Pinstone Street, could be he opened up here after leaving the Prudential building also I`ve found a Joseph Bird a grocer & beer retailer, 39 Haywood rd could he be a  brother or son. All these listing are from 1901, there is a reference to a George Bird who was a partner in the Carter, Milner & Bird at the Hope Brewery on Mowbray Street, this company was closed on the deaths of Milner and Bird BUT George Bird`s son did restart the brewery in 1921 and in 1938 the Old Hope Brewery was closed down and production was transferred to a new site at Claywheels Lane .

If anyone has any info on the Birds or the Restaurants mention I would be obliged .

tozzin Your Mr Bird  the restaurant owner in 1901,  is living at 23 George Street in 1891.

John Bird died in1901 at 21 Joshua Road, he is buried in the General Cemetery

GBC_1891_3823_0123.jpg

The proprietor of the Howard Restaurant on Chapel Walk was John Bird, ex steward of the Athenaeum Club (and William's brother).  His restaurant opened on Monday 10th July 1899, able to serve 100 customers in its upstairs dining-room.  John Bird died on 24th May 1901 aged 46 at his home in Joshua Road, Nether Edge. His restaurant continued to operate until late July, but the fittings were auctioned on 14th August, and the premises then put up for rent.

I don't believe that the Joseph Bird of Haywood road was related as he was from Bedfordshire and John and William were from a small village south of Rugby, Warwickshire.  George (Brewery) Bird was born in Sheffield in 1856 so I don't think he's a relative of the others.

No problem using any of this info tozzin.  See also: