Photos of Joseph Tomlinson and the firm

Gabriel

They were Undertakers as well as running passenger coaches etc. Are they related to Tomlinson and Windley, currently Funeral Directors of Crookes?

• Like 1

Yeah, my ancestors were the creators and owners of the firm and were created in 1860. They did merge with Reg Windley to form Tomlinson and Windley but I’m unsure of the date. John Heath & Sons now own Tomlinson and Windley. I recently contacted them and they said they would be happy to answer any questions, so I need to question them on dates and history.

Hi again,

I have an old copy of ‘The Working Man’s Model Family Botanic Guide‘ from the 1890s written by Sheffield herbalist William Fox (1810-1877) of Snig Hill and Castle St. Out of interest I have researched some of these herbalists - Fox died of liver & heart disease (despite all his herbal cures) in 1877 and his widow Mary Elizabeth Fox married (wait for it) Joseph Tomlinson soon after. Her son Alfred Russell Fox was a herbalist and town councillor for Crookesmoor and there is a prominent Fox family grave in Crookes cemetery with botanical carvings on it.

Oh wow! Joseph Tomlinson’s first wife, Elizabeth Else died in 1883. He then married Mary Elizabeth Fox a year later. They lived together at 1 Oxford Street, also known as Oxford Villa with one of Mary Elizabeth’s daughters, Annie Elizabeth. Mary Elizabeth died 17 years after Joseph in 1918 at Oxford Villa. All his possessions were sold at auction, including trophies he and his firm had won for the best horses and carriages. Which I am gutted about. Thank you so much for that information. I hadn’t really looked into Mary Elizabeth’s family, but I definitely will now. 

Attaching frontispiece & title page of my ‘Botanic Guide’, this edition is dated 1884. First edition must have been about 1852.

728A4339-A4E4-4318-B90E-B4F5586E7819.jpeg

Wow, that is amazing! I had no idea that the Fox family were that successful. 

Thanks 

The family missed no opportunity to promote their book - This is the 1911 census entry for Walter Caughey Fox, another son of William & Mary Elizabeth Fox (nee Taylor)! Never seen this done before!

D2C82E6A-0D15-4822-ACB3-0A81D0B8B71D.jpeg

Walter Caughey Fox and family. His daughter Jessie (on the right) wrote a lovely account of growing up in late 19thC Sheffield before her adventures elsewhere [Jessie: The Story of a Genteel Lady in Frontier Alaska]; follow this link:-

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6dddgGPBtVwC&pg=PR6&lpg=PR6&dq="Walter+Caughey+Fox"&source=bl&ots=POqqsnBoqi&sig=TTg5TjhOlAVbiGq3AlNhcKlWhkg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=i36RVdyTGYXW7QbPo5moBA&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q="Walter Caughey Fox"&f=false

A70672FE-004B-4B4E-A784-BFD1AEB5ABC4.jpeg

• Like 1

That really is great free advertising. The account written by Jessie sounds interesting, so I will have a look into that.

Are you related to the Fox family then? 

No relation, just obsessive interest in local medical history, been gathering bits like this for years, might as well share them!

Jim

Wow! I’m hooked on that book already! 

I’m the same. I obsessed with Tomlinson’s. I love seeing pictures of their horses and carriages, and of the family. I love learning about history, so thank you for the info on the Fox family 

See also the thread below. Sorry if this doesn’t work, I don’t really know how to link a current topic with an old topic so I just copy-and-pasted the title bit?

Guest AlisonD

Herbalism in Sheffield: William Fox

Unsurprisingly, when you click on what is basically an image file (hoping it’s a link) - nothing happens!

Duhh....

Oh yes, I read that thread last night when you told me about William Fox. Really interesting!

24 minutes ago, Jim2000 said:

Unsurprisingly, when you click on what is basically an image file (hoping it’s a link) - nothing happens!

Duhh....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1