The Kelvin Grove Hotel Pub and the Sheffield Gangs

Sheffield History

96518586_2898763213512512_8998792053827567616_n.jpg

A nice old family photo taken around 1922 outside the Kelvin Grove Hotel Sheffield.

Photograph is showing a group of people including Charles Shinfield and his wife Beatrice Gwendoline Dykes who were the proprietors at the time.

Apparently the pub was a "Gang pub" and maybe some of the people shown in the photo could have been associated with the infamous Mooney gang.

Does anyone have any information on The Mooney gang or any of the gangs that might have frequented this pub?

Could there be any truth that the pub was associated with the Mooney Gang?

The Kelvin Grove Hotel/public house was situated on Infirmary Road at the junction with Woolen Lane in Sheffield.

(I believe The building was demolished in the 1970s)

I thought that The Mooney gang were more associated with the 'Park' district than around Kelvin.

You could be right @ayfer

So we need to try and find out which gangs were frequenting The Kelvin Grove Hotel....

I used to take horse bets for people to a big yard across from the top of Wood Street, shove em under the outside toilet door, bet the gangs had something to do with that. 

A shout of Copper used to have the bloke out of the toilet and away, carrying his leather bag just like a rent collector. 

Happy days. 

My parents were landlord/Landlady in early 1960's. They talked about the Mooney gang frequenting the pub, obviously before their time. There is a book "the Sheffield Gang Wars" which is interesting and should provide information

• Like 1