City of Sheffield Police - The Beat Book

fentonvillain

Last year I wrote an essay for a website http://british-police-history.uk/cgi-bin/journal.cgi?a=a2142d42a288d075&m=ac8fa3ca90a9256f    which detailed my introduction to policing in the City in 1961 as a tender-foot rookie copper in B Division, the Central Division.  I'm afraid you have to be a former serving officer to join the group which hosts the website but it is an account of what it was like to be a probationer PC in the days when Bobbies walked the beat without personal radio, without Tasers, without body armour and with only their whistle, their truncheon and their wits to keep them from harm.

The essay, The Beat Book, explains how the beats were arranged and worked, the part played by the ubiquitous police boxes and how discipline played such an important part of the motivation of the lonely Bobby walking darkened, silent streets by night or enjoying the joie du vivre of City Centre life in the Markets, Down The Moor and among the cutlery factories by day. 

The essay is available in .pdf file if the  organisers of Sheffield History Forum will allow it to be published here.  Or I will email it to former members of Sheffield City Police who contact me by direct message. 

Sounds great!

That would be fantastic for sure!

Drop me a PM and we can arrange an upload :)

Sounds great!!! Look forward to it.

A recommended (short) read on the subject from me would be "Whats tha' up to?" by Martyn Johnson, its been a few years since I read it but its written from a copper in the 60's 'darn t'cliffe'.

(unless the poster is Martyn of course! :) )

No. The poster isn't Martyn but I have read his book. My essay is more factual than amusing although there are a couple of reminiscences ....and Martyn was at Attercliffe Div, not West Bar. Good read though. 

On 11/05/2020 at 16:45, fentonvillain said:

Last year I wrote an essay for a website http://british-police-history.uk/cgi-bin/journal.cgi?a=a2142d42a288d075&m=ac8fa3ca90a9256f    which detailed my introduction to policing in the City in 1961 as a tender-foot rookie copper in B Division, the Central Division.  I'm afraid you have to be a former serving officer to join the group which hosts the website but it is an account of what it was like to be a probationer PC in the days when Bobbies walked the beat without personal radio, without Tasers, without body armour and with only their whistle, their truncheon and their wits to keep them from harm.

The essay, The Beat Book, explains how the beats were arranged and worked, the part played by the ubiquitous police boxes and how discipline played such an important part of the motivation of the lonely Bobby walking darkened, silent streets by night or enjoying the joie du vivre of City Centre life in the Markets, Down The Moor and among the cutlery factories by day. 

The essay is available in .pdf file if the  organisers of Sheffield History Forum will allow it to be published here.  Or I will email it to former members of Sheffield City Police who contact me by direct message. 

I also joined Sheffield City Police, 3 Jan. 1961 and was posted to 3 Div, Whitworth Lane. When I was sworn in there were two other new constables, both of whom were former cadets. One of them was posted to B Div and the other, I think, to E Div. We all went to Pannal Ash together.

Perhaps you are the B Div. officer ( whose father was a Sergeant). I won't use the name here for privacy purposes.

2 hours ago, AlanB said:

I also joined Sheffield City Police, 3 Jan. 1961 and was posted to 3 Div, Whitworth Lane. When I was sworn in there were two other new constables, both of whom were former cadets. One of them was posted to B Div and the other, I think, to E Div. We all went to Pannal Ash together.

Perhaps you are the B Div. officer ( whose father was a Sergeant). I won't use the name here for privacy purposes.

You beat me there by 9 months. But I think I know who you are talking about.  I will DM you.

Old thread I know, but I can't find The Beat Book on the British Police History website, (I am a member) the link fentonvillain posted appears too old to work now, can anyone help please as I'd love to read it. Thanks

Edit - think I've eventually found it when scrolling down the page on this link https://british-police-history.uk/cgi-bin/journal.cgi?a=a2142d42a288d075&m=02babf2012279552

And their section for Sheffield Police https://british-police-history.uk/f/sheffield-city