CASTLEGATE

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 17.56.07.jpg

Castlegate is a street in Sheffield, England. It is now the main thoroughfare to and from the North of Sheffield as it links Park Square to Wicker. Castlegate, built along a portion of the River Don, was the old location of the slaughter houses. It also served as a back entrance to the Alexandra Opera House as well as the market quarter situated on the site of the former castle of Sheffield.

From the 1960s until 2013 it housed the eponymous indoor markets, which were built to provide permanent accommodation to tradesmen. In November 2013, Castle Markets closed when the new bespoke Markets building on The Moor opened.

The castle market building was demolished in 2015, leading to the rediscovery of the foundations of Sheffield Castle. In August 2018 archaeologists began excavations of the castle foundations as part of a £5 million plan to regenerate Castlegate.

Castlegate is now permanently closed to all vehicles and all bus stops removed.

You can see Castlegate in the top right hand corner of this photo above.

Here`s a similar shot of the Manor Estate, I can see the house I was born in on Harborough Avenue just six houses from the Manor Fields.

MANOR 6.jpg

I'm surprised that these two builds are still standing on Exchange Street. Are they listed/graded? 

20200510_181348.jpg

18 minutes ago, Gamal said:

I'm surprised that these two builds are still standing on Exchange Street. Are they listed/graded? 

20200510_181348.jpg

I'm really glad too - they're great looking buildings!

Castlegate.jpg

For any expats out there who would like to know what Castlegate is looking like currently, it's not open at the moment as the redevelopments take place, laying this fantastic new walkway to create more open space in the city and create a greener thoroughfare.

It's looking the best it ever has.

Cant' wait for it to open!

10 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Castlegate.jpg

For any expats out there who would like to know what Castlegate is looking like currently, it's not open at the moment as the redevelopments take place, laying this fantastic new walkway to create more open space in the city and create a greener thoroughfare.

It's looking the best it ever has.

Cant' wait for it to open!

The concrete wall on the right was erected at the expense of a good remnant of the castle.

On 27/05/2020 at 12:37, tozzin said:

The concrete wall on the right was erected at the expense of a good remnant of the castle.

That's such a shame and a ridiculous decision. I bet they regret that now.

👉

CASTLEGATE in Sheffield City Centre : One of the fastest changing parts of the city.
They're currently digging out Sheffield Castle and building a brand new open space here.
Take a look at this 4K video walk from Sheffield Videos for a walk around the area..

Notice the glazed brickwork at 6 minutes 34 overlooking the river (between the blocks of railings)

• Like 1