1 Oxford Street (Oxford Villa)

Gabriel

Does anybody have any information on 'Oxford Villa' Oxford Street? My 4x great-grandfather, Joseph Tomlinson lived there from 1885 to his death in 1901. It contained an entrance hall, dining room, drawing room, kitchen, scullery, four bedrooms, dressing room, bathroom, W.C., and cellars with an outside wash kitchen, sheds and a garden. After the death of Joseph, his wife remained living there until her death in 1918. The property was then sold in 1918. I believe it was demolished sometime in the 70s, but I'm unsure. 

D968CAC7-9658-40BE-A9F9-AD3251D2BF1C.png.6447ff249e8a7459f360a53ad59c0264.png The building on the right is Oxford Villa3ACE6011-EB14-44F2-B6F1-716EBCA2550B.thumb.png.6c367fae72dff6e93ee4f6a6d88aeaab.pngThe building at the end is Oxford Villa 

Groves William (saw manufacturer), 1 Oxford Street, Upperthorpe, (White's directory, published 1879).
Mickelthwate  William, 1 Oxford Street, Upperthorpe, (Kelly's directory, published 1881).
Tomlinson Mr. Joseph, 1 Oxford Street, Upperthorpe, (White's directory, published 1901).
Tomlinson Mrs. Mary Elizabeth, 1 Oxford Street, Upperthorpe, (White's directory, published 1905).
Tomlinson Mrs. Mary Elizabeth, 1 Oxford Street, Upperthorpe, (White's directory, published 1911).
Lovell  Ian, tailor, 1 Oxford Street, Upperthorpe, (Kelly's directory, published 1925).

• Like 1

Thank you very much for that. I have no records of previous owners so that’s really helpful.

Thanks

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Gabriel said:

Villa3ACE6011-EB14-44F2-B6F1-716EBCA2550B.thumb.png.6c367fae72dff6e93ee4f6a6d88aeaab.png

https://www.picturesheffield.com/;s19440

Shipton Street looking towards Oxford Street from Addy Street, demolition of Court No 2 and back to back housing, left, former Oxford Picture Palace and Upperthorpe Unitarian Chapel, right, Oxford Villa, in background, left

Date:03/11/1966

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

Circa 1903

Section of 1952 OS map #30,

osmap#30_crop.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 13.58.22.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gabriel said:

Thank you both for your help. 

I can’t understand why they would demolish the though. It was a handsome building and it was only replaced by a couple of new-builds. Nothing special though. 

Yeah agreed. I wonder why they did that

I lived in this building from 1948 to some time in 1952.

I was born in Lyons Road and moved here when just a few months old. At the time it was four flats. I lived in Flat 4 but cannot remember exactly which rooms that was. I remember playing in the back yard which was fully enclosed and had some garages which I think may have been stables before. My family moved into a brand new council house on the Birley in 1952 and one of my aunts moved into Oxford Street soon after. A cousin and her family moved in later still so my connection with Number 1 Oxford Street continued for quite some time. Ahead of the impressive doorway was a wide flight of stairs, sort of central in the building. and I think the front step might have been a huge block of slate or similar. I often wonder if the original tenants were connected with Sheffield's steel industry.

• Like 1

On 19/07/2022 at 22:57, LesD said:

I lived in this building from 1948 to some time in 1952.

I was born in Lyons Road and moved here when just a few months old. At the time it was four flats. I lived in Flat 4 but cannot remember exactly which rooms that was. I remember playing in the back yard which was fully enclosed and had some garages which I think may have been stables before. My family moved into a brand new council house on the Birley in 1952 and one of my aunts moved into Oxford Street soon after. A cousin and her family moved in later still so my connection with Number 1 Oxford Street continued for quite some time. Ahead of the impressive doorway was a wide flight of stairs, sort of central in the building. and I think the front step might have been a huge block of slate or similar. I often wonder if the original tenants were connected with Sheffield's steel industry.

Thank you for this. It's always interesting to hear these stories. I'm not sure about the occupations of the previous owners of the house, but my 4x great-grandfather, Joseph Tomlinson, was a cab and carriage proprietor in Sheffield from 1860 until his retirement in 1894. He moved into the house in 1885 after his second marriage and remained there until his death in 1901. I know he had a private carriage, so the garages you refer to may well have been the site of stables and a small coach house. 

Many thanks