The Road in the middle of the River? Help needed..

Sheffield History

I live two minutes from this place, and have never been down there!

2 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

I live two minutes from this place, and have never been down there!

Any chance of getting your wellies on and taking your phone/camera? We can all then get a look at what we’ve all been swapping theories about and have a definitive answer. 😁👍

3 hours ago, Calvin72 said:

I wasn't trying to annoy you all by not posting the precise location :)

No annoyance felt and apologies if it came across that way 😔

4 minutes ago, Ursa Minor said:

Another photo, the ford is paved and as said is in good condition, this is taken from the Beeley Wood Lane side, have to try and get to the other bank and look for the track up to the toll house.

Ford on Don.jpg

Awesome thank you - that's a really clear photograph of it!

On 21/06/2020 at 12:46, Ursa Minor said:

Another photo, the ford is paved and as said is in good condition, this is taken from the Beeley Wood Lane side, have to try and get to the other bank and look for the track up to the toll house.

Ford on Don.jpg

Is it ok if I use this photo please?   I am trying to do a "guide to the River Don", north of Sheffield. History and wildlife.  I think it has  been neglected. The Water Power on Sheffield Rivers" book only started at Oughtbridge, did not cover the Dyson Holmes forge for instance. There were stepping stones at Holmls Farm but cant find the photo I saw.

On 28/04/2021 at 10:30, miked said:

Is it ok if I use this photo please?   I am trying to do a "guide to the River Don", north of Sheffield. History and wildlife.  I think it has  been neglected. The Water Power on Sheffield Rivers" book only started at Oughtbridge, did not cover the Dyson Holmes forge for instance. There were stepping stones at Holmls Farm but cant find the photo I saw.

Ok fine

Hi all

Having lived in the area for a number of years and having an interest in local history, I have been interested in this "road". I understand that it is much older than the Abbey Forge factory site and was used by farmers to access the fields below Middlewood Rd North after that road had been built. The wooden supports that can be seen were placed to stop the road being washed away after heavy rain, and it worked. The "road" remained in tact in the 2007 floods when the river level was just lapping over the footbridge opposite Middlewood Tavern.