Jump to content
Sheffield History

The Road in the middle of the River? Help needed..

Recommended Posts

Sheffield History

96237520_10158518376220555_7134889192118550528_o.jpg

Does anyone know the history of the road that is in the middle of the River Don in Beeley Woods?

Local theories include some kind of possible Roman Road?

Can anyone solve this mystery of the road in the middle of a river?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Calvin72

I ran a Heritage Open Days explore of Beeley Woods last year. It is a very interesting place!  I believe that the structure is part of a water power system. Just visible bottom left is the beginning of a wooden beam that runs the full length which I think must have been part of a device to control water flow (being raised or lowered as needed). There is a lot of stonework on show when the river is low that's for sure. Having said this I'd be more than happy to learn something new. I posted on here somewhere about the area last summer when I was planning the walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Calvin72

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old rider
15 minutes ago, Calvin72 said:

 

I remember going into Beeley woods over the wooden bridge opposite Middlewood tavern thet led to a path skirting Beeley Wood Forge and hearing the bangs of the steam hammers inside.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History
1 hour ago, Calvin72 said:

I ran a Heritage Open Days explore of Beeley Woods last year. It is a very interesting place!  I believe that the structure is part of a water power system. Just visible bottom left is the beginning of a wooden beam that runs the full length which I think must have been part of a device to control water flow (being raised or lowered as needed). There is a lot of stonework on show when the river is low that's for sure. Having said this I'd be more than happy to learn something new. I posted on here somewhere about the area last summer when I was planning the walk.



Would that be why the stonework was originally placed there then ? e.g. during the construction of some kind of water power building/system?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Edmund

Not sure whereabouts on the river you were, but in 1890 there was a ford across next to Stockarth lane.

738435868_BeeleyWoods1890.png.7ca075b3ae1ce08ff9c22bae4aa9a92e.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Calvin72
2 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:



Would that be why the stonework was originally placed there then ? e.g. during the construction of some kind of water power building/system?

I think it was part of controlling/maximising water flow towards to a weir or goit but I'm no expert and always open to suggestion!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Calvin72
Just now, Edmund said:

Not sure whereabouts on the river you were, but in 1890 there was a ford across next to Stockarth lane.

738435868_BeeleyWoods1890.png.7ca075b3ae1ce08ff9c22bae4aa9a92e.png

It's a little further on by the current factory site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MartinR

I followed the link to the earlier thread

where Forgeman had posted this link: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/spy/index.cfm#zoom=18&lat=53.4222&lon=-1.5176&layers=168&b=1&r=30

If the "Road in the middle of the River" is at SK 32020 91859 (53°25'22"N 1°31'11"W) then it is simply a ford carrying the extension of Stockarth Lane from Middlewood Road North across to Beeley Wood Lane

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RLongden
44 minutes ago, Calvin72 said:

It's a little further on by the current factory site.

there is another ford, further upriver, opposite the rear of Abbey Forged Products. Is that where the original photo was taken?
 

AD877649-7E8E-4D26-9965-93FD62115844.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Calvin72
28 minutes ago, RLongden said:

there is another ford, further upriver, opposite the rear of Abbey Forged Products. Is that where the original photo was taken?
 

AD877649-7E8E-4D26-9965-93FD62115844.jpeg

I think that ford is slightly further up river from the feature in the original photo. It too is visible at low water levels. The 'road' has more than just a surface, it has the wooden beam and other remains which show something more complicated

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MartinR

Many fords had stepping stones or a light footbridge alongside them.  Is it possible that the wooden beam could be associated with a bridge?  It would be really helpful if the OP could give a grid reference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History
23 minutes ago, MartinR said:

Many fords had stepping stones or a light footbridge alongside them.  Is it possible that the wooden beam could be associated with a bridge?  It would be really helpful if the OP could give a grid reference.

It isn't my photo so I've just asked where exactly it was taken as I'm not that familiar with the place

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History

 

Had a suggestion given to us just now..

 It’s part of the old Toll Road that went from Middlewood road to Beeley Wood Lane, there is still a house on Middlewood road call toll cottage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RLongden
7 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

 

Had a suggestion given to us just now..

 It’s part of the old Toll Road that went from Middlewood road to Beeley Wood Lane, there is still a house on Middlewood road call toll cottage.

The cottage is where Middlewood Road North becomes Langsett Road South. No sign of any ford or crossing to Beeley Wood Lane on old maps though. Surely the A6102 (Middlewood Road, Langsett Road) would have been the turnpike,, as I can see T.P. along it on several old maps? Beeley Wood Lane always looks the minor road and seems to almost peter out at the point it meets Clay Wheel, becoming Clay Wheel Lane and continuing to Wadsley Bridge.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s16156&action=zoom&pos=26&id=18891&continueUrl=
 

The ford at the bottom of Stockarth Lane, the old pack horse crossing just doesn’t seem well made enough, so doubt it is (or ever was) here? Maybe whoever took the photo can put us out of our misery and tell us where it was taken? 😁

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s12045&pos=8&action=zoom&id=14976

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s12037&pos=2&action=zoom&id=14968

3D098ACB-6B28-462F-93FC-41117A861C54.jpeg

0B5C729F-3F0A-4762-AE30-D655729EFF47.jpeg

CE47A2B1-A761-4806-A578-9DE026722C5E.jpeg

D74C4846-5244-4D11-B0EE-B3A5BD24ADF4.jpeg

19E446F2-7B91-4721-AFFA-1945E6F8A56E.jpeg

6219A443-3BDE-4C05-A75D-58E1621F1EAD.jpeg

8F05567D-1198-49AB-9017-6F12B6613D88.jpeg

A1B472CD-89B6-4E0C-90DA-189E3F864FB5.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Calvin72

Knowing exactly where this feature is and not being able to show it is frustrating! It's not the ford at the bottom of Stockarth Lane and it's not below the toll house. It's between the two sites (just past where the current factory is heading away from town). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MartinR

Are you meaning the old ford at SK 31646 92200 (53°25'33"N 1°31'31"W)?  It's just by the tight bend in the river and it used to carry Beeley Wood Lane acroos the Don, but the factory is now over the top of it.  There used to be a spill way from the factory dam just upstream from the ford. RLongden highlights this ford above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RLongden
44 minutes ago, MartinR said:

Are you meaning the old ford at SK 31646 92200 (53°25'33"N 1°31'31"W?  It's just by the tight bend in the river and it used to carry Beeley Wood Lane acroos the Don, but the factory is now over the top of it.  There used to be a spill way from the factory dam just upstream from the ford. RLongden highlights this ford above.

Thanks @MartinR. I did wonder where @Calvin72 was referring to, knowing I had pointed to that location yesterday? @Calvin72 could you not just screenshot a google maps image and drop a pin or arrow on the location?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MartinR

This is a Google satellite view of the ford.

Ford.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 13.52.13.jpg

 

Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 13.52.31.jpg

Somewhere down in there!

 

lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ursa Minor

I thought I'd read somewhere that the original Sheffield to Penistone Turnpike went on Clay Wheels Lane and Beeley Wood Lane and then crossed the river by the ford to join the new road just before the toll house. However I don't remember where I read it, But here's a snippet from the book "A Layman's Look at the History, Industry, People and Places of Oughtibridge, Worrall and Wharncliffe Side". by Doug Sanderson.

Oughty.thumb.jpg.742707ab5645c6863e1e78a3689b562b.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MartinR

The 25" 1892-1914 OS maps show an unfenced footpath running through the trees by the riverside from the ford to the toll bar cottage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RLongden
4 hours ago, MartinR said:

The 25" 1892-1914 OS maps show an unfenced footpath running through the trees by the riverside from the ford to the toll bar cottage.

 

0BE416BA-C9ED-4EFB-AE89-4DF8F5BB0DAD.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Calvin72
On 10/05/2020 at 11:03, RLongden said:

Thanks @MartinR. I did wonder where @Calvin72 was referring to, knowing I had pointed to that location yesterday? @Calvin72 could you not just screenshot a google maps image and drop a pin or arrow on the location?

Hello All, Yes, that is the location. So now I have a different explanation for the feature than I previously thought and the remnants of wooden beams makes the suggestion of a footbridge interesting. I'll get back there when I can and see if I can take some photos and add to the research on this thread. I'm not very techie I'm afraid. I write and talk and colleagues do the techie stuff. Otherwise I would have nailed this down sooner. I wasn't trying to annoy you all by not posting the precise location :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...