Jump to content

Rutland Hall


Recommended Posts

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 09.35.28.jpg

Screenshot 2020-05-08 at 09.36.21.jpg

Rutland Hall was built in 1906 and sits on Hicks Street just off Rutland Road.

Quite a grand sounding building.

Anyone know the history of it? (e.g. why it was built, what for, and why it was titled as a 'hall')

Link to post
Share on other sites
Edmund

Built by Dr Helen Wilson J.P. as a "Neighbourhood Guild Settlement" to put the poor working class in touch with culture. It typically featured operettas and fund raising bazaars. It was renamed the Helen Wilson Settlement in 1942, as Dr Wilson had been heavily involved with it for 36 years.

South Yorkshire Printers occupied it in 1991.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheffield History
23 minutes ago, Edmund said:

Built by Dr Helen Wilson J.P. as a "Neighbourhood Guild Settlement" to put the poor working class in touch with culture. It typically featured operettas and fund raising bazaars. It was renamed the Helen Wilson Settlement in 1942, as Dr Wilson had been heavily involved with it for 36 years.

South Yorkshire Printers occupied it in 1991.

 

 

Wow that's such an impressive reason to build it.. Good on em

Link to post
Share on other sites
neddy

Councillor Barber of Todwick had some input into the hall before it closed as a community hall.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...