Birds Restaurant

tozzin

I’ve been looking into the Prudential Assurance Building on the corner of Pinstone Street & St Paul’s Parade, by all accounts the lower floor was originally rented out to a Mr Bird as a restaurant but was given his marching orders after failing to pay his rent, the entrance to Mr Birds establishment was what is now the entrance to the Costa coffee shop. I do know that the building does have the oldest lift in Sheffield, if you have any information on the building or the Prudential Assurance company, it would be a great help to me.

460A4B82-432A-44F1-8A82-FCACC4B42009.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ayfer said:

I thought the oldest lift in Sheffield was in the Regent Court flats at Hillsboro.

No the oldest is in this building.

William Bird ran the City Hall Restaurant at 51/55 Surrey Street starting in about 1894, following his resignation as beadle of the Cutlers Company (he served 13 years), though he continued to provide their catering.  Then in 1897 he opened in addition to the City Restaurant, the Bird's Hotel at 28 Pinstone Street in 1897, which had 20 bedrooms, which he rented from the Prudential Assurance Company.  He could not get a beer and wine licence for the restaurant in his new hotel, and complained this was because the justices responsible for issuing licences were keen teetotallers. They had also refused a licence for his Surrey Street premises and he had to employ two people permanently fetching drinks for the diners.  He ran the hotel for 12 months, and then assigned it to another party.  Mr Bird went bankrupt in 1901, and he still had an interest in the fittings as they were auctioned in October.

The building was designed by architects Alfred Waterhouse and Sons, and was under construction in February 1896.

Just now, Edmund said:

William Bird ran the City Hall Restaurant at 51/55 Surrey Street starting in about 1894, following his resignation as beadle of the Cutlers Company (he served 13 years), though he continued to provide their catering.  Then in 1897 he opened in addition to the City Restaurant, the Bird's Hotel at 28 Pinstone Street in 1897, which had 20 bedrooms, which he rented from the Prudential Assurance Company.  He could not get a beer and wine licence for the restaurant in his new hotel, and complained this was because the justices responsible for issuing licences were keen teetotallers. They had also refused a licence for his Surrey Street premises and he had to employ two people permanently fetching drinks for the diners.  He ran the hotel for 12 months, and then assigned it to another party.  Mr Bird went bankrupt in 1901, and he still had an interest in the fittings as they were auctioned in October.

The building was designed by architects Alfred Waterhouse and Sons, and was under construction in February 1896.

This is up to your usual high standard Edmund, can I use the information you’ve found, same thing with a mention of yourself and History Sheffield.