Gleeson gates

mattsmith09

Hi there, I just wondered if anybody has any information on the old gleeson site in woodseats, inparticular the gates ( as they are still visible. from the road) when they built or who made them?

Thanks

IMG_5460.jpg

Thanks, Steve. I might have to contact them directly about the design of the gates and who made them. Or when they vacated. Thanks Matt

25 minutes ago, mattsmith09 said:

Hi there, its on Chesterfield Road, now an NHS site. I belive Glesson occupied the Chantrey Picture House (next to the site) at some point too.   

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3424412,-1.4780583,3a,75y,274.38h,87.49t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1sJJeVKxlDFibn7Cd8r_lXAg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i43

Yes, 1957 directory.

glee_1957dir..jpg

http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/26107/photos/146811

glee_chant.jpg

M J Gleeson & Co was located at 822 Chesterfield Rd, now the entrance to the Kashmiri Aroma Indian Restaurant and next to the Big Tree Pub.

The 1957 map shows the extent of the area taken up by the Gleeson site, it goes behind the old Chantrey Cinema and exits the site where the gates are located.

The Picture Sheffield photograph shows the demolition of the site going ahead in 1963. The tall building in the right foreground is the rear of the Chantrey Cinema, the gap between the white gabled building and the rear of the terrace of shops is where the gates can still be seen. 

Site of M J Gleesons.jpg

Gleesons.jpg

• Like 1

Michael Joseph Gleeson, builder, Chesterfield Road and 21 Meadow head, Chesterfield Road. (1925 directory).

glee_mj_1925.jpg

glee_meadowhd.jpg

M J Gleeson (contractors) Ltd., Chantrey House, Chesterfield Road, 8. (1965 directory).

Wow, fascinating! I live just around the corner and didnt even know the space off the road was there. Thank you so much. 

Gleesons had good manufacturing workshops so I would think they were made there, we used to have our joinery timber vacuum treated there.

• Like 1

A long shot. 1957 directory.

Astron Ironwork Co., wrought iron gate manufacturers, 837 Gleadless Road. 12 & (regd office) 162 Meadow Head, 8.

Eadon Engineering Co. Ltd. 61 Norfolk Street, 1.

Wilks Brothers & Co. Ltd., Samson works, Samson Street, 2.

glee_gate_1957.jpg

glee_gates_1957dir.jpg

On 06/05/2020 at 09:21, SteveHB said:

Worked there as part of my OND full-time building course 1968-1971 for a while which included the Crucible. Top floor window with the side looking out was (I think) a drawing office where I worked for a while. More to the centre was a pricing office. Can't remember much more other than the MD was a Jack Fahy who tore a strip off me for asking why I was earning less than a graduate. Happy days. Pub lunches often at the Big Tree next to it.