Can you guess where this is?

Sheffield History

Wow didn't think this was such an easy one!

I'll have to find something harder ha ha!

Does anyone know why it was demolished and replaced with this unattractive building? 

Screenshot_20200504-231241_Maps.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Wow didn't think this was such an easy one!

I'll have to find something harder ha ha!

Yes, great, find some more, I like a good mystery, though I remember that one well because I  was quite disgusted when it was demolished.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, boginspro said:

Yes, great find some more, I like a good mystery, though I remember that one well because I  was quite disgusted when it was demolished.

It baffles me how such a magnificent piece of architecture can ripped down. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Gamal said:

Does anyone know why it was demolished and replaced with this unattractive building? 

From memory I think it was to widen the road to connect  Arundel gate to the Parkway though I can't remember the order of alterations. I agree that new building is awful and think that  no right thinking authority would take such an action.

• Like 2

I think the modern building in the photo is not where the bank was but where the old News Theatre, or Classic cinema was. The bank would be where the road is now. I used to go to the Classic to see the horror films in the late '70's and remember that I used to see my friend onto her bus home outside the old gas offices, so I don't  think the road had been widened by then and that was certainly after Park Square was built. I wonder if demolition was to do with Supertram or Ponds Forge?

Nigel L