Is this Sheffield building historical/notable?

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 14.02.45.jpg

This building on the right of picture. Is it historical or notable in any way? 

It looks like the redevelopment of it could be saving the facade of it

Is there a name for this building?

I seem to remember that the Hallam Historical Buildings Society had an interest in encouraging SCC to preserve the facade. in any redevelopment.

10 hours ago, lysandernovo said:

I seem to remember that the Hallam Historical Buildings Society had an interest in encouraging SCC to preserve the facade. in any redevelopment.

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 00.46.19.jpg

Looks like they have succeeded

The front facade definitely looks like it's being kept (unless they're still tearing it all down that is)

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 00.50.51.jpg

Just been sent this which shows the new development being built showing the facade is being kept

I believe what they are doing here / done is called facadism. Where the original facade of a building is kept usually for historical reasons or aesthetic reasons, and a new building built behind it. The old buildings facade is not actually part of the new building. Its not even sometimes connected to it. 

Its quite a big thing in that London. Its to try to keep everyone happy, progress moving forward, but keeping its history !!

Not sure how i feel about it. Probably better to have the old facade than lose it all together !!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, antony said:

I believe what they are doing here / done is called facadism. Where the original facade of a building is kept usually for historical reasons or aesthetic reasons, and a new building built behind it. The old buildings facade is not actually part of the new building. Its not even sometimes connected to it. 

Its quite a big thing in that London. Its to try to keep everyone happy, progress moving forward, but keeping its history !!

Not sure how i feel about it. Probably better to have the old facade than lose it all together !!

Yeah you're bang on Antony. Looks like that's exactly what they're doing

To me it doesn't quite look right in the mock up though but let's see how it turns out before I whinge about it!

ha ha

Here is a pic i took at the end of last year around the back of the ‘buildings’ for anyone whos interested :)

It was just a quick point and click on the phone.

EF63F5CB-B317-473C-B2AA-F13ED58562D6.jpeg

• Like 2

Ah that shows is much more clearly thank you for posting

Definitely just the front facade being used then

Wandering through town for the first time since lockdown, and wondered how progress was going.....

this is what it looks like now - before we never see it again

AA32B199-5639-49C2-9647-6AEC1A350C6B.jpeg

49C1F27C-15A8-4F51-A3E1-A4DC7703A803.jpeg

On 05/05/2020 at 00:51, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 00.50.51.jpg

Just been sent this which shows the new development being built showing the facade is being kept

I believe the corner building is colloquially known as the 'Pepper Pot'. Not sure of the historical significance though.