Wadsley Bridge mystery location

Sheffield History

Wadsley Bridge Sheffield.jpg

This Wadsley Bridge postcard image shows a busy street. a hosier and draper (W.A Sharpe) and possibly a factory up at the top of the street?

Any ideas where this is/was?

• Like 1

I think that is Penistone Road North, if I am correct one of the shops to the right was a chip shop at some time. I think there is a picture somewhere on here taken a bit further back down the road.

Is that bloke up near the top end of the street collecting horse muck, that can also be seen in the street? Or is it a coal dump? By the way that's one of the dirtiest roads I have seen on one of these old photos.

I can't find the picture I was thinking of but here is the best I can find at the moment. The chip shop is to the right and Beres Pork shop replaces the drapers. I am sure many will remember their pork sandwiches, I think they had a few shops or perhaps still have?  EDIT - I see that they are still in business and in a big way. My mouth is watering just thinking of those sandwiches.

http://www.beresporkshop.co.uk/about.asp

https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s26405&pos=223&action=zoom&id=28830

penistone_road_north.jpg

• Like 1

On the original photo' , if I am in the right place, the railway is at the top of the road and I think the pointed thing was on a building, I think a steel works, at the other side of the railway at the bottom of Fox Hill Road.

railway.png

• Like 1

Agreed Penistone Rd.

It matches census records for John William Hirst (Butcher) and 1905 directory entry for William Aitkin Sharpe (Draper). Old maps on NLS site show protruding buildings (at the top of the pic) just before where the New Bridge pub is may match the picture.

Can't post the evidence from this tablet :(

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RichardS said:

Agreed Penistone Rd.

It matches census records for John William Hirst (Butcher) and 1905 directory entry for William Aitkin Sharpe (Draper). Old maps on NLS site show protruding buildings (at the top of the pic) just before where the New Bridge pub is may match the picture.

wm at.jpg

1 hour ago, RichardS said:

Agreed Penistone Rd.

We did "New Bridge pub" not long ago, a map was added :)

Hi, (very) long time lurker but first post so hope I'm doing this right!

The photo is of the bottom bit of Wadsley Bridge and it's still possible to get your bearings from two of the only remaining bits left - the chapel and the war memorial. The boundary of John Fairests follows the old building lines. I can actually remember some of them still being there in the late 60s even though I was little as my mum went to Beres' every week. There was a paved path between what is the drapers and the war memorial to the chapel.

Hopefully this is today's view from the same place as the photo was taken:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4175274,-1.5002646,3a,75y,345.65h,81.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_eIZqZQR-s6KRBlrifeElw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jozafeen said:

Hi, (very) long time lurker but first post so hope I'm doing this right!

The photo is of the bottom bit of Wadsley Bridge and it's still possible to get your bearings from two of the only remaining bits left - the chapel and the war memorial. The boundary of John Fairests follows the old building lines. I can actually remember some of them still being there in the late 60s even though I was little as my mum went to Beres' every week. There was a paved path between what is the drapers and the war memorial to the chapel.

Hopefully this is today's view from the same place as the photo was taken:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4175274,-1.5002646,3a,75y,345.65h,81.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_eIZqZQR-s6KRBlrifeElw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Amazing work thank you and thank you for posting!

• Like 1

Once again you guys have come up trumps 

Absolutely outstanding detective work again!

Thank you all so much

We're blessed to have such a great site with such knowledge!

• Like 1

I found this image a few days ago. It's not very clear as it's just from an old thumbnail, but it shows the war memorial at Wadsley Bridge with Sharpe's shop immediately behind it . Would this be the opening ceremony maybe? It looks very well attended!

wb war.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jozafeen said:

I found this image a few days ago. It's not very clear as it's just from an old thumbnail, but it shows the war memorial at Wadsley Bridge with Sharpe's shop immediately behind it . Would this be the opening ceremony maybe? It looks very well attended!

wb war.jpg

Yes, it looks like an unveiling of the memorial.