Anyone know what this is?

Calvin72

17 hours ago, Derek Tylden-Pattenson said:

Following on from Kidneystone's report, I've used Google Streetview to find a further six posts along the A6135. If anyone's passing and is able to get a picture of any of the following, please do send them to me via gpo-markers.derektp.co.uk ... the database is very nearly at 200 marker posts, so any others elsewhere in Sheffield (or further afield) also very much welcomed!  🙂  Here are the locations of the ones I've found but would like close-ups of:

• 252 High Greave
  • 198 The Common, Ecclesfield
  • 148 The Common, Ecclesfield
  • 200 White Lane, Chapeltown
  • 62 White Lane, Chapeltown
  • 52 White Lane, Chapeltown

(Numbers might be approximate!)

All six uploaded to your site.

• Like 2

Hi Derek, here are pictures of the 'Wire Mill Dam' marker post on the footpath running between Whiteley Wood Road and Waggy's Field in S11. I've filled in the report form on your website, (which is very informative), so details there, hopefully. 

23rd Aug 20 GPO cable marker, lane from Whiteley Woods Road.JPG

11.3.21 GPO cable marker.JPG

• Like 2

I'll be checking those 'stones' out then, thanks. Here's a more recent GPO marker in S10, with the numbers intact.

Resized GPO S10 .JPG

8 hours ago, Jane said:

Hi Derek, here are pictures of the 'Wire Mill Dam' marker post on the footpath running between Whiteley Wood Road and Waggy's Field in S11. I've filled in the report form on your website, (which is very informative), so details there, hopefully. 

Thank you Jane, I hadn't twigged this was the "Wire Mill Dam" one. I'd looked on streetview up and down Whiteley Wood Road and area several times but of course this one isn't viewable on google!  Mystery solved, loose ends tied. 🙂

On 13/03/2021 at 09:30, Jane said:

Hi Derek, here are pictures of the 'Wire Mill Dam' marker post on the footpath running between Whiteley Wood Road and Waggy's Field in S11. 

That's an interesting name. When I was at King Ted's, we used go be taken by 'bus to Whiteley Woods for football. I remember that the groundsman was a Mr. Waghorn - he also sold glasses of fruit squash to us when we'd got changed after our game and while we were waiting to go back to school. I wonder if he was the "Waggy" in the field's name.

That sounds a likely reason for the name of the field; great that it's used and the name lives on! This picture of an OS map from 1937 shows a sports ground and pavilion on this site. It also marks three stones - picking up from the earlier post and the 1892-1914 map. Think these photos show two of them and what's left of one of them (along with bonus lambs). The markers in the same field have 'SH' inscribed in them. 

IMG_0583.JPG

26.3.21 marker Whiteley Woods Road (7).JPG

Waggy's Field Whiteley Woods Road 2 14.3.21.JPG

• Like 1