Sheffield Road Tinsley, Then and Now

boginspro

The old Sheffield Road Tinsley. For the 1906 shot the photographer would now be almost under Tinsley Viaduct, The old Plumpers pub (first one) can just be seen hiding behind the tree at the bottom of Town Street.

The now shot is the best I could do on Google Earth and is from the top of the viaduct. The building in the foreground is still there, the Plumpers was where the grass patch is at the far end of the row and the gable end in the distance is still there.

sheffield_road_tinsley_1906.jpg

sheffield_road.png

• Like 1

According to an article by Michael Bullas in the scrapbook of N.E Sheffield & S.Yorks,  "The original Plumpers  Inn stood at the corner of Town Street and Sheffield Road until it was demolished about 1907. The licence was transferred to a new Plumpers Hotel in 1898. The site of the second Plumpers Hotel was at the corner of Bawtry Road and Sheffield Road. It's two fields, barns and outbuildings ran parallel with Shepcote Lane and backed onto Plumpers Road. This hotel was later demolished to make way for the M1 motorway and a third Plumpers was built in the field behind, it was renamed "The Plumpers".  this is the one we see today."

• Like 1

I wonder why those four buildings had the ornamental loft windows removed, to be replaced by vulux windows?

54 minutes ago, History dude said:

I wonder why those four buildings had the ornamental loft windows removed, to be replaced by vulux windows?

May be the two high explosive bombs in 1940 took the roof off?

524219353_BombsatTinsley.png.f70610f8b5fd89a78e00603e59e85f26.png

I worked for quite a few of my formative years down Lock Lane, just off Sheffield Road, by the side of the canal and was there from start to finish of the viaduct and subsequent alterations to the road network. The shops in those days were busy. A bank, a hairdresser ( Alf Swindells kept it. He was a man who "knew " everything and "everybody", A customer visited Rome on holiday. Alf asked if he had seen the Vatican? The customer replied that he had and,indeed, he had been blessed by seeing the Pope. "Did he speak to you"? enquired Alf. Yes he did" replied the customer. "What did he say? "...."Who cuts your bl**dy hair "? replied his custome.There was also a fish and chip shop...using coal for its range and dripping for its chips, a post office, a chemist and others beyond my memory.

The first photo is looking toward the Ickles and Rotherham. There was a large pub on the right ( not the Plumpers). Sadly, its name eludes me but it was a Tennants/Whitbread house and I think it can just be made out in the distance. The second and third Plumpers were behind the photographer.

Can't help with the loft windows but in the 50/60s it was said that many lofts in this part of the world had been knocked through to permit ( illegal) renting of bed spaces along a line of terraces... for the very many immigrant labourers employed in Tinsley's steel works.

• Like 1

The ornamental loft windows were still there in the late 60's, early 70's. but with the road alterations and building of the viaduct business must have suffered, certainly most of the useful shops pulled out. I presume that when the properties then changed hands and were renovated that the ornamental attic windows  were replaced to keep the cost down, especially if they were done on a grant. There was also some demolition along there at the time.

6 hours ago, lysandernovo said:

There was a large pub on the right ( not the Plumpers). Sadly, its name eludes me but it was a Tennants/Whitbread house and I think it can just be made out in the distance.

From a very poor memory the only other big pub along there was the Fox & Duck at the bottom of St. Lawrence Road. That was a Tennants / Whitbread house.

20 hours ago, Edmund said:

May be the two high explosive bombs in 1940 took the roof off?

524219353_BombsatTinsley.png.f70610f8b5fd89a78e00603e59e85f26.png

Those two stations look confusing :

Wincobank and Meadow Hall

Meadow Hall and Wincobank

It looks like the former is at the site of the new station.

Yes, the current Meadowhall Station was previously known as Wincobank on the 'LMS' route whilst the one on the 'LNER' was the Meadow Hall. The service on the latter route was mainly goods only certainly from the early 50's, though I have seen reports of Grange Lane Station being used for excursions. The Geographia type maps sometimes show variations of spelling compared to OS maps.

Thank for the info Boginspro. Indeed, it was the Fox and Duck.

. Wincobank and Meadowhall  was on the Midland main line to Rotherham and was roughly on the site of the current Meadowhall station but Meadowhall and Wincobank, was a station on the South Yorkshire Railway's ( later MS and L, GCR and LNER )Blackburn Valley line to Barnsley which went via Grange Lane where ,around 1960, I went on a youth club excursion to Bridlington.

On 26/04/2020 at 21:58, boginspro said:

The old Sheffield Road Tinsley. For the 1906 shot the photographer would now be almost under Tinsley Viaduct, The old Plumpers pub (first one) can just be seen hiding behind the tree at the bottom of Town Street.

The now shot is the best I could do on Google Earth and is from the top of the viaduct. The building in the foreground is still there, the Plumpers was where the grass patch is at the far end of the row and the gable end in the distance is still there.

sheffield_road_tinsley_1906.jpg

sheffield_road.png

The second picture is quite a find. I'm trying to find out what these shops sold & who owned them if anyone knows..

Whites 1905 directory has the following for these shops on Sheffield Road:

40: Thomas Hammond, tobacconist

42: Edward Cooper, greengrocer

44: Arthur H Potter, hardware dealer

46: Charles H Murgatroyd: pork butcher

By 1911 the greengrocer was Richard Selby and the pork butcher was Jn Haag

Beyond that I have no information to hand, other than at some point the shops were renumbered to 50-256 Sheffield Road.

On 27/04/2020 at 10:15, neddy said:

According to an article by Michael Bullas in the scrapbook of N.E Sheffield & S.Yorks,  "The original Plumpers  Inn stood at the corner of Town Street and Sheffield Road until it was demolished about 1907. The licence was transferred to a new Plumpers Hotel in 1898. The site of the second Plumpers Hotel was at the corner of Bawtry Road and Sheffield Road. It's two fields, barns and outbuildings ran parallel with Shepcote Lane and backed onto Plumpers Road. This hotel was later demolished to make way for the M1 motorway and a third Plumpers was built in the field behind, it was renamed "The Plumpers".  this is the one we see today."

I understand that at the beginning of the last century the Plumpers ran a trip to Doncaster races by horse driven omnibus .

On 02/06/2022 at 13:30, Lysanderix said:

I understand that at the beginning of the last century the Plumpers ran a trip to Doncaster races by horse driven omnibus .

That must  have been a very well trained horse.

....and what pulled this omnibus?