Last of the Summer Wine

I'd had a good mornming spojjin' at Morehall and decided to have a pint at the Castle at Bolsterstone for a pint one day. I got to the bench on the corner and was told I could not go any further because they the road was closed all day for filming of Last of the Summer Wine. So I went to the bottom Red at Grenoside instead.

Guest tsavo

Hi! Zep,

sounds like a nice way to spend a morning, before the return of the monsoon over the weekend. Welcome to Sheffield History.

It wasn't this morning. However I wish......

Never liked Last of the Summer Wine either, so I was quite put out.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

Oh dear, just re-read your post. As my old teacher used to say, "must do better!"

Peter Sallis in Last of the Summer Wine had a spell at the old Sheffield Playhouse early in his career.

Guest plain talker

I'd had a good mornming spojjin' at Morehall and decided to have a pint at the Castle at Bolsterstone for a pint one day. I got to the bench on the corner and was told I could not go any further because they the road was closed all day for filming of Last of the Summer Wine. So I went to the bottom Red at Grenoside instead.

Yes the lower room at the "stoo-en" (stone) has been frequently used as a set for "LOTSW"

in days past I used to go in there.

My little old dog used to love the walk down Morehall from Bolsterstone, to the "Bithems" (although the walk over Langsett moor was her very close second!).

Guest bus man

Seem to remember that part of the sheffield shooting took place round the smithwood club at the bottom of woodseats road

Seem to remember that part of the sheffield shooting took place round the smithwood club at the bottom of woodseats road

i am sure that was an episode of Didnt Know you Cared filmed at Smithywood about 1977 ish

i am sure that was an episode of Didnt Know you Cared filmed at Smithywood about 1977 ish

I agree, I do not recall Last of the Summer Wine filming in Sheffield. I Didn't Know You Cared was filmed in Sheffield and South Yorkshire though.

Guest Old Canny Street Kid

I agree, I do not recall Last of the Summer Wine filming in Sheffield. I Didn't Know You Cared was filmed in Sheffield and South Yorkshire though.

Like Stuart, I have no recollection of any filming in the Sheffield area of Last of the Summer Wine. However, only a few days ago I was talking to someone who used to work in the BBC Wardrobe department, along with a distant relative of mine, Jean Bamforth, and he said that some years ago when they were working with the Last of Summer Wine team, they were in the Sheffield area --and Jean, who came from Chapeltown and also lived at High Green for a time, pointed out places she had known as a youngster. I do not know exactly where they were at that time, but it may have been somewhere not far from Chapeltown, possibly on the road to Penistone.

As some people will know from certain other threads, I am trying at present to find out more about Jean Bamforth, who moved to London as a youngster and went into show business; and, if I should discover that she is still around somewhere, one of the questions I will ask her about is the Last of the Summer Wine filming.

At least two episodes were filmed in the Sheffield area. The one featuring the circus had a scene filmed at Smithy Bridge Road in Low Bradfield and the one where the bloke thinks the earth is about to catch fire was filmed on Gibralter Rocks above Daledyke dam and afterwards at the now closed down Haychatters Inn. Mrs Siddall, the then landlady had a non-speaking (staring) part where they are down on the pub floor feeling for heat.

If I can quote a few lines that I can remember from one early episode (when Compo was in it).

I think it was Peter sallis's character that said this

Wonder how I can remember these lines?

"Of course a lot of people think that America was discovered by Christopher Columbus, but it wasn't it was discovered by 2 blokes from Sheffield"

Then, - after a bit of disagreement from the others about this remark

"Yes these 2 men from Sheffield were sailing to Chesterfield on the Sheffield - Chesterfield navigation canal and they took a wrong turn"

then, after a bit more comment from the others

"Well they realised they had taken a wrong turn when they saw the Statue of Liberty instead of the Crooked Spire." lol

Guest 30_degrees

At least two episodes were filmed in the Sheffield area. The one featuring the circus had a scene filmed at Smithy Bridge Road in Low Bradfield and the one where the bloke thinks the earth is about to catch fire was filmed on Gibralter Rocks above Daledyke dam and afterwards at the now closed down Haychatters Inn. Mrs Siddall, the then landlady had a non-speaking (staring) part where they are down on the pub floor feeling for heat.

Hi guys, This was filmed at Wortley Hall B)