Kenyon's, Bellhouse Road, Sheffield 5

lysandernovo

Long before I ever set foot in Redgates as a  child in Sheffield 5  we had our own " wonderland" in aforsaid Kenyon's. The shop was in 2 parts...one was the tobacconist  with its lovely aroma (even to a child) and was mainly run by Mr Kenyon ( a pillar of Firth Park Methodists and with a gammy leg)... the other was the toyside where his wife predominated.  The small counter was topped with dinky toys ,on display in a glass topped cabinet, and everywhere else were...toys, toys, Hornby trains and models...even upstairs in the attic..where should something you wanted not be downstairs a quick look up there might provide a magic endresult. I always wanted a model Sheffield tram but, alas, in the late 1940/early 50s trams didn't seem to have a following and I never got one.

A Trip to Redgates in Town was something I did when I had children...Kenyons was the toyshop of my childhood although Joels and Hobbies provided me as a young teenager with supplies for fretsawing, building model flying gliders and dope ( not for smoking put painting flying models). ☺️

I also have good memories of visiting Kenyon's when I was young. I lived on Hinde House Lane & Firth Park itself  & the shopping area were my most used areas. Sailing boats on the pond, playing tennis & bowls with my dad . Getting our meat from my school friend John Spencer & his dad's shop. Ten pin bowling - had my bachelor night there before going to the pub. So many good memories !!

The Spencer family were also pillars of Firth Park Methodist Church. I was a year older than John...so you and I were pretty much contemporaries. I went to Hucklow Road Infant and Juniors and lived on the Brushes and also enjoyed sailing my model yacht on the "duckpond"....Happy Days!.