Commonside - anyone got photos?

deltics

Hi, wonder if anyone can help?

My dad's family lived for many years at 36 Commonside, where the bungalows now stand. His parents moved away in 1974 when the block of houses was demolished and replaced by the new bungalows. I have never found any photos of these houses - situated between the bottom of Hands Lane/Road and the hospital - and would very much like to see some.

My dad passed away a few years ago but, towards the end, we were talking about Commonside and he said that he was certain that a stone set into these houses said 'Intake Cottages.' Obviously nothing to do with the Intake out beyond Manor Top, and more likely because the land in what is now Crookes was unenclosed?

Any help gratefully received, and if anyone can remember the houses and wants to s3wop anecdotes I'm happy to do so.

Chris

No photos, I'm afraid, but a couple of old maps of the houses in question.

1853 (a bit blurred), when they were named as Prospect Terrace, with the "big house" being Prospect Villa

Commonside 1853.jpg

1890, when they are Moorend Terrace, the "big house" being Moor End Villa. This perhaps points to them belonging to the "big house".

Commonside 1890.jpg

On both maps there is a pump marked behind what would be no 40 Commonside. Presumably this was the well.

Just realised that i am responding to some points made in another thread :wacko::blink:.

Prospect Villa and also Prospect Terrace were built in the mid1840s by Samuel Frost, merchant and manufacturer with premises on Broad Lane.  When he retired in 1848 he downsized from the big house into one of the 10 terraces, the big house then being occupied by George Sanderson, a file manufacturer's manager. Samuel Frost died in 1853.

Brilliant work. I have to admit I didn't recall them being called Intake Cottages, I suspect that may have been my Dad's previous address somewhere in the Park area (name escapes me for the moment) but I do recall a stone with the name on it at Commonside but not what it said! I was only 12 the last time I went there and it's a while back now ;)

Anyone who criticises the Internet really should be reading this - I've two threads going at the moment, Commonside and Toftwood Road, and people have given me a mountain of information that I didn't even know existed let alone where to find it. Truly touched by the 'kindness of strangers' and by everything people have done.

This might not be in the precise location that you are looking for but I thought I would post it anyhow. This is from my own collection, the scan at least, so I don't have a postage date, sorry.

Steel Bank.jpeg

• Like 1

Have a look at the blog of Chris Hobbs  - View From A Hill

There are a couple of items and photographs that will interest you

https://ceegee-viewfromahill.blogspot.com/search?q=commonside

https://ceegee-viewfromahill.blogspot.com/2018/11/head-office-of-d-north-homes-ltd-63-73.html

and also a memorial

https://ceegee-viewfromahill.blogspot.com/2018/11/aircraftman-2nd-class-george-william.html

And then of course there is the photograph of the "oldest house in Sheffield" which was on Commonside. This has been discussed at length elsewhere on the Forum 

oldesthouses.jpg

oldesthouseinsheffield.jpg

With regard to the term "intake" at Commonside this is a photo of a tram taken in 1954 at the junction of Commonside - the tram's destination is Intake. Pure speculation but may the stone be in someway connected with the trams?

commonside20111954.jpg

• Like 1

On 17/04/2020 at 23:28, Arif said:

This might not be in the precise location that you are looking for but I thought I would post it anyhow. This is from my own collection, the scan at least, so I don't have a postage date, sorry.

Steel Bank.jpeg

That's fantastic!

18 hours ago, ceegee said:

With regard to the term "intake" at Commonside this is a photo of a tram taken in 1954 at the junction of Commonside - the tram's destination is Intake. Pure speculation but may the stone be in someway connected with the trams?

commonside20111954.jpg

When that picture was taken I was a toddler living just around the corner on Bower Road. When I was a few years older, once a year my friends and I used to stand just the other side of that brick wall on the right with our 'guy' in a pram, asking for pennies from the passers by. It was quite lucrative and I remember we could collect as much as five bob after a morning's 'work'. I remember once being told off for begging by an old lady. Summoning my best 9-year-old voice I responded, "Madam. If people are daft enough to give us money, we're daft enough to collect it!" 

Another thing I remember was that it cost exactly 1d to ride into town on the tram from this bus stop (child's fare).

Funny how little things stick in your mind after 60 years have passed.     

On 04/05/2020 at 17:13, ceegee said:

commonside20111954.jpg

As the cottages were there well before the trams I would think it unlikely, the Intake route didn't open until 1928.

The tram in the picture is standing at the Board of Trade compulsory stop at the top of Barber Road, also known as the "Barber Road hump". All trams had to come to a complete stop here and put down their track brakes before descending the steep hill, to make sure they didn't "run away".

Nigel L

• Like 1

There's a photo on Picture Sheffield of where the bungalows are opposite the Hallamshire House just below The Closed Shop ; just after the previous properties were demolished in 1971.