Burlington Street - Upperthorpe

SteveHB

42 minutes ago, SteveHB said:

Nice curtains.

Who's that bearded bloke on the right?

burlington_st.jpg

Despite the poverty these women were very house proud, hence the clean curtains, if these ladies come back to day they would cry at the oddments put up to windows pretending to be curtains.

19 minutes ago, tozzin said:

Despite the poverty these women were very house proud, hence the clean curtains, if these ladies come back to day they would cry at the oddments put up to windows pretending to be curtains.

Correct tozzin, here is a present day example, the lady who did this is not old, but she was brought up 'old school'.

IMG_6160_e.jpg

• Like 1

I have neighbours who have duvet covers up for curtains and in over five years have never cleaned their windows, it brings the area down to third world environment, I’ve worked out why some of them don’t open their “ curtains” it’s because wherever they come from they don’t have windows.

59 minutes ago, tozzin said:

I have neighbours who have duvet covers up for curtains and in over five years have never cleaned their windows, it brings the area down to third world environment, I’ve worked out why some of them don’t open their “ curtains” it’s because wherever they come from they don’t have windows.

Things happen tozzin, and sadly some people do not know better.

I remember someone falling through the window, when they were trying to iron the curtains.

9 hours ago, SteveHB said:

Things happen tozzin, and sadly some people do not know better.

I remember someone falling through the window, when they were trying to iron the curtains.

Ooooh aren’t you bold!,

LORRY RUNS AMOK

Crashes Into House: Woman Buried

Several Sheffield people had remarkable escapes when a dust lorry ran away down Burlington Street, Sheffield yesterday afternoon, mounted the pavement, and crashed into a house.

The dust lorry, one of the large enclosed type, was standing laden with rubbish in Burlington Street, when, it is believed, the brake rod broke.

The lorry quickly gathered speed and careered backwards across the road, mounted the pavement, and crashed into No. 42, Burllington Street, where Mrs. N. Haywood was washing pots in the front room. She was flung across the room and buried in a pile of bricks and debris. She had to be taken to the Royal Infirmary for treatment.

A man who was walking along the footpath had a narrow escape and just managed to get clear of the waggon in time. The impact smashed in the outer wall of one room. The lorry eventually came to rest with the rear well inside the house.

Miss Ortton. of 40 Burlington Street told a "Sheffield Telegraph" reporter that when she got into the room after the crash, it was full of dust and " you could not tell if you were treading on bricks or on Mrs. Haywood. She was absolutely buried.  I heard her groaning, and we pulled  the bricks off her. The whole of the window was knocked out in one piece, and we found it lying in the room - with one pane broken "

Mrs. Haywood was badly bruised by the bricks, but after treatment at the Royal Inflrmary, was not detained.

1 hour ago, Edmund said:

LORRY RUNS AMOK

Crashes Into House: Woman Buried

Several Sheffield people had remarkable escapes when a dust lorry ran away down Burlington Street, Sheffield yesterday afternoon, mounted the pavement, and crashed into a house.

The dust lorry, one of the large enclosed type, was standing laden with rubbish in Burlington Street, when, it is believed, the brake rod broke.

The lorry quickly gathered speed and careered backwards across the road, mounted the pavement, and crashed into No. 42, Burllington Street, where Mrs. N. Haywood was washing pots in the front room. She was flung across the room and buried in a pile of bricks and debris. She had to be taken to the Royal Infirmary for treatment.

A man who was walking along the footpath had a narrow escape and just managed to get clear of the waggon in time. The impact smashed in the outer wall of one room. The lorry eventually came to rest with the rear well inside the house.

Miss Ortton. of 40 Burlington Street told a "Sheffield Telegraph" reporter that when she got into the room after the crash, it was full of dust and " you could not tell if you were treading on bricks or on Mrs. Haywood. She was absolutely buried.  I heard her groaning, and we pulled  the bricks off her. The whole of the window was knocked out in one piece, and we found it lying in the room - with one pane broken "

Mrs. Haywood was badly bruised by the bricks, but after treatment at the Royal Inflrmary, was not detained.

It seems Mrs Haywood was a very lucky lady.

On 12/04/2020 at 08:54, tozzin said:

Burlington Street / Addy Street.

4883DE77-5C17-441B-8AE9-3EF689A6FAE4.jpeg

34DE2DD4-AA95-4FB6-B097-409EC8E520DC.jpeg

2nd photo :- Corner shop was a beer-off run by the Magraths.  I used to spend my pocket money on their "penny tray"

37 minutes ago, Boxingday79 said:

2nd photo :- Corner shop was a beer-off run by the Magraths.  I used to spend my pocket money on their "penny tray"

The easy feeling you could touch in the old corner shops, the first name greeting by the shop owner whether you were young or old and you were just as welcome if you spent tuppence or two pounds. You just don’t get that feel in a supermarket, I hate the damn places. I’m sure if some of these old type of shops were given a reasonable chance to open up again they may succeed, Greengrocers,Grocers,Bakers, Shoe Shops not the horrible places we have now, sadly I do wear rose coloured glasses but I do miss the personal service these old shop excelled in.

When I started work at J Donnellys on Portobello in  around 1961, I had to run the errands and this shop ,W. Senior, grocer and off licence, Regent Street, was the shop I had to go to for tea, sugar etc, it was here I first bought a quarter of Lucky Numbers sweets, I’m sure this old shop was run by two sisters back then but can’t be sure.

A594BDDB-B0A7-4049-AE5D-6787C0203344.jpeg