Fitzalan Market Hall and Fish Market

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 22.18.35.jpg

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 22.18.22.jpg

Fitzalan House Market Hall also referred to as The Sheffield Fish Market

This was at the top of Angel Street (seen going down the left on this photo) on the corner of High Street (going down towards the right of picture)

Later knocked down and replaced by most famously the C&A building that overlooked the Hole In The Road/Castle Square

I recall the Fish Market being to the very rear of the Castle Market, the C&A ‘Art Deco’ building was built a long time before the ‘Hole In The Road’ was even thought of, it suffered bomb damage during the Sheffield Blitz.

Wasn't  there a fish market , with a glass and steel Mellowes* type roof ,accessible by a wooden walkway built over the bombed out remains of the pre-War Co- Op. I remember in the 1940/50s walking over the bridge whilst being "dragged" around Town shopping with Mum!!!! ....It was across the road from the only  old Market Hall I know of.(the Norfolk Market Hall on the Haymarket) ...If it wasn't the fish market, then I wonder what was it?

The C and A Modes building was one of the first stores to be erected post- War to replace blitzed premises? ( "Sheffield at War "shows  a very badly damaged, partially collapsed original C and A on High Street)

* Mellowes was a Sheffield based company manufacturing roofing....especially those with glass panels supported by glazing bars.

1 hour ago, Lysanderix said:

Wasn't  there a fish market , with a glass and steel Mellowes* type roof ,accessible by a wooden walkway built over the bombed out remains of the pre-War Co- Op. I remember in the 1940/50s walking over the bridge whilst being "dragged" around Town shopping with Mum!!!! ....It was across the road from the only  old Market Hall I know of.(the Norfolk Market Hall on the Haymarket) ...If it wasn't the fish market, then I wonder what was it?

The C and A Modes building was one of the first stores to be erected post- War to replace blitzed premises? ( "Sheffield at War "shows  a very badly damaged, partially collapsed original C and A on High Street)

* Mellowes was a Sheffield based company manufacturing roofing....especially those with glass panels supported by glazing bars.

That's correct.

I spoke about it in a recent post as I went in there frequently with my grandma and also my mum.

To the best of my knowledge, the fish market was more or less the same fish market which was in use until the castle market was shut down and demolished and the new Castle Market built in the late 50's was incorporated into the front of it.   My Grandma used to buy me pie peas and chips in the same little cafe at the back of the fish market that was still there around the millenium year.

It nay not have conformed to the most modern standards but the place had character and our family shopped there for generations and it's very much missed by us.

The Norfolk Market Hall was another old building with loads of character and, although some prefer modern buildings, we prefer Sheffield as it was.

The numbers of shoppers in photos and films of those days, testify to how popular they were.

• Like 1