The help me find my photo locations thread

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 21.58.45.jpg

Please use this thread to post your photos if you can't identify exactly where the photo was taken.

I'll start with the one above.

It's a slide titled 'Old College Sheffield 1934'

I believe the road going down to the right might be Portobello Road?

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 22.06.39.jpg

Another one here. 

Esther Shepherd fish chip and potato stores

New Albert Road - Any ideas where exactly this was?

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 22.10.25.jpg

Photo number three I need help locating

Some kind of war display with the words King Edward and Queen Alexandra on them

Norfolk Arms in the background but where exactly in Sheffield are we?

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 22.13.20.jpg

Staniforth Slater, a dealer in welsh slates on George Street but any idea whereabouts on George Street this was?

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 22.49.20.jpg

Need help with this one as I can't get my bearings.

The Norfolk Hotel in shot here, and some big building down the right looking like some kind of theatre maybe?

Blonk Street area?

35 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 22.49.20.jpg

Need help with this one as I can't get my bearings.

The Norfolk Hotel in shot here, and some big building down the right looking like some kind of theatre maybe?

Blonk Street area?

Looks like this Adelphi circus Theatre 

6 minutes ago, OwlsMan1961 said:

Looks like this Adelphi circus Theatre 

Ah yes it definitely is!

So we're opposite the bottom of the ramp to Victoria Train Station, right where Castlegate is now

Great work my friend

8 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Ah yes it definitely is!

So we're opposite the bottom of the ramp to Victoria Train Station, right where Castlegate is now

Great work my friend

I recognised the pub as more recently being known as the Alexandra and found via google that pic on picture sheffield and also this info

1 hour ago, Sheffield History said:

Please use this thread to post your photos if you can't identify exactly where the photo was taken.

Not sure about the date '1934' - by 1923 (Ordnance Survey map) the applied science building had been extended all the way from Broad Lane to this corner. The map calls this Charlotte Street but was already out of date. I found a reference to Mappin St in early 1922.

1923 O.S. map

Mappin St the Charlotte 1923 25in.JPG

The terrace was originally called Charlotte Terrace, completed in 1831...not much sign of the ornamental shrubs by the time of the photograph...

Sheffield Independent 26 Nov 1831

1831-11-26 ShInd Charlotte Terrace sale notice.JPG

I reckon that building (with the arched feature roof facade) is now part of the university opposite St Georges Church

2 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 22.10.25.jpg

Photo number three I need help locating

Some kind of war display with the words King Edward and Queen Alexandra on them

Norfolk Arms in the background but where exactly in Sheffield are we?

Savile Street East at the junction of Princess Street
Former Norfolk Arms (Picture Sheffield)

3 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 22.06.39.jpg

Another one here. 

Esther Shepherd fish chip and potato stores

New Albert Road - Any ideas where exactly this was?

The wall on the left is The Crown on the corner of Albert Road and Chesterfield Road. Its address is 2 Albert Road, but the cottages were 5-9 Chesterfield Road. Here is a 1966 image from Picture Sheffield which shows just no. 5 standing: Picture Sheffield image

James Shepherd, fish fryer, of 9 Chesterfield Road, died 30 Dec 1925. His wife Esther lived until 1947. They are buried together at City Road.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Does this answer your question? The buildings stood on the site of what is now the Frederick Mappin Building of the Sheffield University campus.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;y01491&pos=9&action=zoom&id=48537

I doubt the original photo was 1934, the the Frederick Mappin Building and renamed Mappin Road from Charlotte Road was completed long before then...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Frederick_Mappin_Building

76B070C4-3254-4787-BF33-12A165342A96.jpeg

ACC7C5B7-D4F0-43F1-AA0E-E144C1650A8D.jpeg

5A56A864-7CD2-45AF-83FD-4511D6CE2999.jpeg

9 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-04-09 at 22.13.20.jpg

Staniforth Slater, a dealer in welsh slates on George Street but any idea whereabouts on George Street this was?

It was Thomas Staniforth, who was a slater by trade and I’ll take a wild guess at no.15??? lol

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s06009&prevUrl=

But maybe it wasn’t no.15, as these were the Fire insurance offices on George Street? However, take a look at the little building to the right of the offices..... Look familiar? So maybe no. 13 or 17?! :)

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s12462&action=zoom&pos=11&id=15378&continueUrl=

72AAEF2D-EC9B-4856-8738-F3A508EAA188.jpeg

AAAF0A74-C5A5-42A8-AA30-D3328C1B5770.jpeg

7 hours ago, HughW said:

Not sure about the date '1934' - by 1923 (Ordnance Survey map) the applied science building had been extended all the way from Broad Lane to this corner. The map calls this Charlotte Street but was already out of date. I found a reference to Mappin St in early 1922.

1923 O.S. map

Mappin St the Charlotte 1923 25in.JPG

The terrace was originally called Charlotte Terrace, completed in 1831...not much sign of the ornamental shrubs by the time of the photograph...

Sheffield Independent 26 Nov 1831

1831-11-26 ShInd Charlotte Terrace sale notice.JPG

Charlotte Street became Mappin Street, so it is near St George’s Church. And Portobello Street.

1 hour ago, RLongden said:

It was Thomas Staniforth, who was a slater by trade and I’ll take a wild guess at no.15??? lol

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s06009&prevUrl=

But maybe it wasn’t no.15, as these were the Fire insurance offices on George Street? However, take a look at the little building to the right of the offices..... Look familiar? So maybe no. 13 or 17?! :)

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s12462&action=zoom&pos=11&id=15378&continueUrl=

72AAEF2D-EC9B-4856-8738-F3A508EAA188.jpeg

AAAF0A74-C5A5-42A8-AA30-D3328C1B5770.jpeg

Rear of Thomas Staniforth’s premises is Pawson & Brailsford, Printers, Mulberry Street. Red arrow shows Staniforth’s building, which matches roofline, chimney and relative position on George Street, adjacent to Alliance Buildings. 
https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s22539&action=zoom&pos=22&id=25007&continueUrl=

AE830925-1445-412C-A801-2111F040FF2D.jpeg

Well I've just woke up and had my morning coffee, logged on and find that you guys have done it again. 

Amazing detective work on this thread and THANK YOU!

All makes perfect sense

If anyone else has any unknown location photos please post them in this thread and we can all try and work out where they were taken!

Corner Shop Sheffield.jpg

Here's my new one that I need help with. The background buildings behind this Sheffield corner shop may help but I'm stumped.. 

35 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Here's my new one that I need help with. The background buildings behind this Sheffield corner shop may help but I'm stumped.. 

The hoppers to me indicate a cutlery firm and it does remind me of British Silverware when it was on Priestley Street / Queens Road. This photo where the red arrow indicates is part of the Royal Works of Mappin & Webb.The hoppers cant be seen in this photo but i remember them quite clearly.

Copy of QUEENS RD 1.jpg

52 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Now if you’d have asked where it was from.... lol

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jrjamesarchive/9491589881/in/photolist-fsJSZp

No idea where it is yet, but not that I have anything else to do for the next 6-8 weeks.....:wacko:

7 minutes ago, tozzin said:

I think it may be this shop, its now a Cafe on the corner of Shoreham Street and Clough Road.

image.png.4e7454791b9d1198d37b3e422b66883f.png

With respect, I don’t think it is, as the architecture isn’t consistent with the shop in question. Although it’s in the area of your aerial photo, the door arch, the window layout and the gable end / roofline are different. I may be wrong though....?

7 minutes ago, RLongden said:

With respect, I don’t think it is, as the architecture isn’t consistent with the shop in question. Although it’s in the area of your aerial photo, the door arch, the window layout and the gable end / roofline are different. I may be wrong though....?

I see your point but buildings do Change, but it’s definitely Mappin & Webb’s in the background, it ran along side the River Sheaf on Priestly Street.