Can anyone identify exactly where this is/was?

Sheffield History

It is Moorhead (as was). The horse tram is turning from Pinstone Street into Furnival Street.

The Nelson Hotel is on the right and Cambridge Street is behind the tram.

Can't really do an equivalent shot as this section of road has been replaced (for now) by MidCity House. The building behind, on the corner of Pinstone Street and Cambridge Street is still there, though.

From Google Streetview

cambridge street at pinstone street.jpg

It was the roof of that building behind the tram which told me straight away where it was.

The building on the right is the Nelson Hotel.

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/3531-pubs-n-to-s-keepers-picture-links/?tab=comments#comment-18098

I believe the picture was taken on 11th July 1946, when the 50th anniversary of the corporation tramways was being celebrated. The tram is works car 166 restored and renumbered 1.

There is some footage of this event at the Yorkshire Film Archive website

33 minutes ago, madannie77 said:

It is Moorhead (as was). The horse tram is turning from Pinstone Street into Furnival Street.

The Nelson Hotel is on the right and Cambridge Street is behind the tram.

Can't really do an equivalent shot as this section of road has been replaced (for now) by MidCity House. The building behind, on the corner of Pinstone Street and Cambridge Street is still there, though.

From Google Streetview

cambridge street at pinstone street.jpg

This is now demonstrated unfortunately. Another one of the Council's great ideas. 

20200310_125511.jpg

20200310_124546.jpg

4 minutes ago, Gamal said:

This is now demonstrated unfortunately. Another one of the Council's great ideas. 

20200310_125511.jpg

20200310_124546.jpg

Such a shame 

So why is there a horse tram on the road? I'm guessing this is c.1930s although I'm sure someone will be able to identify the car :)

As mentioned in the second post of the thread, it is (probably) works car 166 refurbished and renumbered 1, and it is 11th July 1946, commemorating 50 years of corporation tramways.

2 minutes ago, madannie77 said:

As mentioned in the second post of the thread, it is (probably) works car 166 refurbished and renumbered 1, and it is 11th July 1946, commemorating 50 years of corporation tramways.

My fault for skim reading!

13 minutes ago, Calvin72 said:

My fault for skim reading!

Been there and done that many times 🙂

The tram was originally built in 1874 by Starbuck and Co in Birkenhead for the Brightside route and numbered 15. In the early 1900's it was mounted on an electric truck and used as a works car. The picture shows it mounted on its electric truck.

It is now preserved at Crich where substantial work was required to restore it back to a horse tram. It is used on several days a year with a hired in horse, although if it will be used this year remains to be seen.

Nigel L

• Like 1