West Bar Police Station

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 20.01.22.jpg

Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 20.01.48.jpg

West Bar Police Station (Central Division Police Headquarters)

We haven't had a thread on the West Bar Police Station up until now so thought I'd start one to get some background on the building, what was there before it came along, and any stories or photo's we can find..

I went there twice in my lifetime (never as a criminal I might add!)

One was to report an assault on my brother at the City Hall, and once to appear in a police lineup parade for a crime that was committed, where they found me and my mate in Hillsborough Park one day and offered us some money (think it was £10) to stand in a police lineup at West Bar Police Station.

I remember we went along, and when I saw the lineup I couldn't believe it. The people taking part in it along with us all looked completely and totally different, different ages, shapes, sizes, colours etc.

It wasn't like you see in the movies or on The Bill that's for sure ha ha

Back in the 1960's I attended a one night a week driving course there. Sadly at the time there was no skid pan in Sheffield so couldn't do any practical. Quit a  good course through !

6 minutes ago, johnm said:

Back in the 1960's I attended a one night a week driving course there. Sadly at the time there was no skid pan in Sheffield so couldn't do any practical. Quit a  good course through !

I never knew they did those!