The Oddfellows Inn on Duke Street / Talbot Street

Sheffield History

Park Hill Flats Sheffield.jpg

Rare photo of The Oddfellows Inn pub on the left on the junction of Duke Street and Talbot Street

Anyone know anything about this pub or have any other photo's of it? Seems to be lost to history..

Hmmm the Odd Fellows Arms

Do I have the wrong name of the pub on this occasion or do you think there may have been a name change?

1 hour ago, Sheffield History said:

Hmmm the Odd Fellows Arms

Do I have the wrong name of the pub on this occasion or do you think there may have been a name change?

The name seems to have been interchangeable for most of its life. Arms / Inn / Oddfellows / Odd Fellows

To my knowledge the Odd Fellows were a 'Secret Society' similar to the Free Masons or Buffalows. Many old Sheffield Pubs are named after the people who met there - e.g. The Nail Makers. If the building is the orginal one, then there are often give away symbols around the walls. I used to go in the Odd Fellows Arms in Bridport, Dorset with an old friend, I believe Odd Fellows were a common society in the West Country.

Wazzie Worrall.

Strange that the pub is often just off the pictures of the area , New Inn, Norfolk Picture House etc.. I used them all at some time, I called occasionally in the  Odd Fellows in the 60's, at that time it was  a well run pub. A man I worked with was an every night regular (Ernest ? I can't remember his second name) and the best darts player I ever knew. He was a bench man for Timpson's  shoe repairs and would take on a bet where he threw some six inch nails specially ground to a point. He had other tricks, I think one was to twist the darts in the air like knife throwing, but generally if he used his best set of darts, me and my mates just had to accept a thrashing.

Trying to date the photo, must be post 1961 because of the flats, however the cars don’t help and the ‘Clean Air Act’ obviously hadn’t landed, looking at the bottom of the photo.

On 07/04/2020 at 09:53, Sheffield History said:

Park Hill Flats Sheffield.jpg

Rare photo of The Oddfellows Inn pub on the left on the junction of Duke Street and Talbot Street

Anyone know anything about this pub or have any other photo's of it? Seems to be lost to history..

This one someone sent me,

whites oddfellows 1.jpg

11 hours ago, DaveJC said:

Trying to date the photo, must be post 1961 because of the flats, however the cars don’t help and the ‘Clean Air Act’ obviously hadn’t landed, looking at the bottom of the photo.

Top photo'  3rd December 1963 according to Picture Sheffield.       --------------           https://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s14987&pos=1&action=zoom&id=17780

If anyone thought that the 1960’s were ‘swinging’, just picture yourself cruising down Duke Street in your Ford Pop, A35 van or Moggie 1000, attempting to tune in to the likes of Radio Caroline on you manually operated, steam driven radio, we were real cool. 
😑

More on the Oddfellows pub. My connection .... from 1962 to 67 I worked in holidays from school then college for Harry Hodges plant hire and demolition. Quite a big firm with big contracts . The yard with scrap yard workshop and offices was just off Staniforth Rd  between Balfour  Cinema  and Darnall fire station. They quarried fluorspa in Peak District.   Harry and his wife were hands on and turned up every morning in his latest Rolls Royce. Mrs made sure hers were the only fingers in the till . In spite of their obvious considerable wealth Mrs Hodges worked shifts behind the bar most nights at the Odd Fellows.  . An odd thing .  I thought the pub was on the left of  Duke st /City Rd. road going up hill.  I heard nothing to say they owned it.  The firm has folded in the last few years .Billy ,the son took over