The Black Horse

tozzin

I can remember Milners Musical Instrument shop on Howard Street, number 64, just in the entrance it had a mosaic floor in which was the name the Black Horse, I've looked for it in your list but its not there, according to Douglas Lamb in his book A Pub On Every Corner he gives the years 1825 to 1902, but I've gone through my directories and it was still open in 1911, my directories are not consecutive I might add, but here`s what I`ve found.

1825    Licencee Ann Millward  

1833    Licencee  Samuel Hibberd (in this year the pubs postal number was No 34 )

1849 -1852  Licencee Joshua Hinchcliffe  (postal number is now No 64)

1862    Licencee Eliza Pryke

1879    Licencee Edward Wear

1893 - 1901 Licencee Laurence McCain

1905   Licencee James Spiers

1911   Licencee Joseph Henry Clark

Former Black Horse Howard St.jpg

The Black Horse was put on the "Compensation list" to be closed down, in February 1926, hearing to be held on 22nd June, on the grounds of redundancy and unsuitability of the premises.  The owners' brief argued that it had been in the family for three generations (though I suppose not necessarily the licence holders).  A sale of all the pub's fixtures and fittings was held on 8th January 1927 - these included an upright pianoforte, a 4-pull beer machine, inlaid mahogany top tables, spittoons and a copper hot water urn.

The compensation for the loss of the licence was agreed as £1,105.  Between 1905 and 1927 53 public houses and 191 beer-houses were put on the compensation lists and the total amount of compensation paid was £291,262.

In July 1933 Frank Robson (the licensee of the Black Horse from 1905-1910) was granted discharge from his bankruptcy.  He owed his unsecured creditors £424 and he paid a dividend of 7s 10 3/4 d.  The bankruptcy had taken place in 1911, 22 years previously.  He now intended to go into the building business with his two sons.

• Like 3

Guest leksand
On 06/04/2020 at 12:45, tozzin said:

I can remember Milners Musical Instrument shop on Howard Street, number 64, just in the entrance it had a mosaic floor in which was the name the Black Horse, I've looked for it in your list but its not there, according to Douglas Lamb in his book A Pub On Every Corner he gives the years 1825 to 1902, but I've gone through my directories and it was still open in 1911, my directories are not consecutive I might add, but here`s what I`ve found.

1825    Licencee Ann Millward  

1833    Licencee  Samuel Hibberd (in this year the pubs postal number was No 34 )

1849 -1852  Licencee Joshua Hinchcliffe  (postal number is now No 64)

1862    Licencee Eliza Pryke

1879    Licencee Edward Wear

1893 - 1901 Licencee Laurence McCain

1905   Licencee James Spiers

1911   Licencee Joseph Henry Clark

The pub ended its days as a Gilmour's house, but they had acquired the lease from Whitworth's of Wath (which would suggest that it was one of the many Sheffield properties of Marrian's that were offloaded after takeover). The owners were the Hibberds. After notice that the pub had been placed on the compensation list the Trustees of Samuel Hibberd (presumably a later generation than the one who ran the pub in 1833) came forward and their claim to ownership was admitted. They subsequently took the bulk of the compensation (£700) with the licensee being granted £350 (a higher than normal proportion), the remainder going to Gilmour's as lessees. The licence expired on Dec. 31st, 1926.

Final licensees were James Spiers (taking over from McCain in 1904), succeeded by Frank Robson in 1906, Joseph Henry Clark in 1911 and lastly Herbert S. Leedale from late 1912.