Strangest pub names in Sheffield

Sheffield History

C57C92BA-BA17-40C6-9A62-B103615581F1.jpeg

What’s the weirdest pub name you have found in Sheffield’s amazing past?

Recent discoveries for me are Hero and the Horse pub,  and also the Who Can Tell pub at Grimesthorpe

Can anyone beat those?

14 minutes ago, St Annington said:

From: https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/148328-the-who-can-tell/

''I was told the name came from a well used phrase in the area - 'A slice will never be missed off a well cut loaf' ''

I've always found 'The Penguin' to be a strange choice of name for a pub.

Yeah The Penguin is an odd choice! lol

Frog and Parrot ! As far as I know its still on West Street.

Although lots of newer bars have odd names - Bungalow and Bears ??? For instance

39 minutes ago, antony said:

Although lots of newer bars have odd names - Bungalow and Bears ??? For instance

It's on Division Street, antony, name was changed from Prince of Wales.

1 hour ago, antony said:

This is just a silly name made up by some marketing idiot, I always call it by it’s proper name the Prince of Wales, all old pubs had names that meant an event or a person etc. It’s on Devonshire Street by the way not West Street.

• Like 1

It’s recently gone but the palm tree at Walkley always suggests a cocktail bar Leopold square when it was a proper old school local.

miss it massively.

• Like 1

The ‘Old House At Home’, Sheffield market (near Waingate/Castle Street), according to The Builder, ‘Condition of our Chief Towns - Sheffield’ publication (1861):

In the rear of one of the public-houses, called the ‘Old House At Home’, there is a passage with pigs at the end of it, for whose accommodation a gutter is formed, and passes the doors of the houses in the passage into the street, running with liquid manure.

Reassuringly, however, the risk of disease “seem to be fully recognised by one enterprising individual” who had “placarded the walls with a printed advice to Try Rydal’s wonderful mixture for cholera”.

(Presumably the fly-poster was chemist Amos Ridal on Devonshire Street).

Probably best to give that pub a miss.

Landlord’s home-made pork pies, anyone?

Edit: text size enlarged

The Prospect View in Gleadless Road overlooking what was Cat Lane allotments was always better known as "The Cuckoo", possibly because the landlady was renowned for short measure but more likely because in the Spring, i.e. now, it was always possible to hear a cuckoo sounding across the valley. But it was only when I learned proper grammar (at a proper grammar school)  I realised that the name Prospect View is actually tautology...a Prospect IS a view! I was sad when I discovered the pub had been sacrificed for road widening. A lot of my dad's and Uncle Jim's hard earned cash went into that till!  Cuckoo's have become quite a rare occurrence although I did hear one yesterday in the country park which now stands where the Coalite plant was at Wingerworth. 

3 hours ago, fentonvillain said:

The Prospect View in Gleadless Road overlooking what was Cat Lane allotments was always better known as "The Cuckoo", possibly because the landlady was renowned for short measure but more likely because in the Spring, i.e. now, it was always possible to hear a cuckoo sounding across the valley. But it was only when I learned proper grammar (at a proper grammar school)  I realised that the name Prospect View is actually tautology...a Prospect IS a view! I was sad when I discovered the pub had been sacrificed for road widening. A lot of my dad's and Uncle Jim's hard earned cash went into that till!  Cuckoo's have become quite a rare occurrence although I did hear one yesterday in the country park which now stands where the Coalite plant was at Wingerworth. 

I liked the “Cuckoo” too, there’s a small area left which had a bench in it exactly where the pub stood, the old customers called it the Garden of Remembrance, the little area is till there but the bench has long been vandalised and removed.

one customers complained about the crap beer one day, the landlords reply was “ tha’s only got a pint, I’ve got a cellar full”.

• Like 1

Frog and Parrot was named by previous landlord Roger Nowill, he actually kept a parrot in the bar. He was a bit of a character and was once seen on TV with the parrot.The pub was one of the first that brewed beer onsite including the famous Roger and Out, which has been well documented.

This would have been early '80s. As far as I know, some of the brewing apparatus is still onsite, but unusable due to safety reasons (I think asbestos insulation)

• Like 1

The Wapentake in the centre and The Old Bradley Well at Darnall were also unusual names.

There is another Wapentake in Leeds centre, it's a vegan/gluten free cafe/bar - a far cry from the old Sheffield Wapentake!

1 hour ago, eldomsmith said:

The Wapentake in the centre and The Old Bradley Well at Darnall were also unusual names.

There is another Wapentake in Leeds centre, it's a vegan/gluten free cafe/bar - a far cry from the old Sheffield Wapentake!

Wapentake, from Old Norse vápnatak, an administrative division of the English counties of York, Lincoln, Leicester, Nottingham, Derby, and Rutland, first clearly referred to in 962/963 and corresponding to the “hundred” in other parts of England. The term wapentake is of Scandinavian origin and meant the taking of weapons; it later signified the clash of arms by which the people assembled in a local court expressed assent. Danish influence was strong in those English counties where wapentakes existed.

I would have thought the name of the Bradley Well speaks for its self.