Nirmals Indian Restaurant on Glossop Road / West Street

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 18.10.35.jpg

Does anyone else remember Nirmals Indian Tandoori Restaurant on Glossop Road / West Street?

I remember going in there and every time I did the owner (the lady in the photo) came and sat at our table to tell us how amazing the food was! She never left us alone.

The food wasn't great either. Pretty bad from what I remember..

Anyone else remember Nirmals?

Yep, I remember it, and also when it moved to near Cole Brothers.  There was a big thing about it in the Star, too.

I got to know the guy who supplied all the Asian restaurants - a lad named Mohamed Jameel - who also had his own place for a while.  Maybe it was professional rivalry but he said she always went for the cheapest stuff, not the best, and her success was mainly down to endless self publicity.

ISTR it wasn't the worst Indian place I've ever been to, but definitely not the best, by any means.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tozzin said:

I’ve never been in an Indian restaurant in my life.

It's a lifechanging moment! 

5 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

It's a lifechanging moment! 

I’ll forgo that pleasure, I always thought death was a life changing moment.😌😌😌

On 03/11/2021 at 18:46, tozzin said:

I’ve never been in an Indian restaurant in my life.

Worth going to, if, of course, you like Indian food.  Or at least, if you're keen to try it out.

We went to Nirmal's on West Street regularly and thought it was very good although she did like to bend your ear. We found the food quite fresh and delicately spiced.

My first curry was probably Vesta in a box, quite exotic at the time. Surely everyone has tried a curry a some point in their life, - it is now Britain's national dish?

• Like 1