Does anyone know what street this is?

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 14.39.04.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday's open top bus drive through Sheffield having returned to the city in 1966 having lost to Everton in the cup final at Wembley.

What street is this? At first I thought High Street but can't be that..

Norfolk Street.

Little Mermaid cafe on the right hand side, was certainly on Norfolk Street

• Like 1

This one shows the buildings on the right hand side of the road very clearly, looking in the same direction as the original image:

u01616.jpg

• Like 1

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 15.27.55.jpg

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 15.27.12.jpg

You guys nailed it! record time too! 

Nice one - I was really struggling with this one..

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 16.28.49.jpg

Today is the first time I've ever seen The Mappin Buildings on Norfolk Street, so fascinated to find out more. 

Here is a queue for the housing department stretching right down Norfolk Street past Brook Shaw garage in 1965.

I wonder what caused such a queue in 1965?

2 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-04-05 at 14.39.04.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday's open top bus drive through Sheffield having returned to the city in 1966 having lost to Everton in the cup final at Wembley.

What street is this? At first I thought High Street but can't be that..

The white building on the left is Brook Shaws and the building behind it is the Phoenix public house. So Norfolk Street / Union Street it is.

1 minute ago, tozzin said:

The white building on the left is Brook Shaws and the building behind it is the Phoenix public house. So Norfolk Street / Union Street it is.

Now I've got to go hunting for the Phoenix pub!

Looks like the Phoenix Hotel might actually have been a hotel and not just a pub?

12 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Looks like the Phoenix Hotel might actually have been a hotel and not just a pub?

Whether it was a hotel it would still be called a pub, it was the watering hole of the artists appearing at the Empire.

The Wyvern Hotel on Leighton Road never had any guests in its lifetime, you only had the name “ Hotel” if you could provide room for the traveller.

The picture on the corner of the Phoenix Hotel was a mosaic, it always fascinated me as a young un (born 1954), when I walked past that pub.

phoenix.jpg

Awesome stuff thank you as always!

Have started a new thread in the pubs section as it didn't have it's own topic yet

Just now, SteveHB said:

The picture on the corner of the Phoenix Hotel was a mosaic, it always fascinated me as a young un (born 1954), when I walked past that pub.

phoenix.jpg

Sheffield seemed to have many mosaics back the day made out of what seemed to be tile? I too remember them fondly. 

• Like 1

Oh such happy ,civilised, time when we had pubs ,in abundance, licensing hours and shops weren't full of booze! Ford claimed they had a spare for every type they had built. My Dad had a 1933 Ford 8. It needed a part ( a dynamo I think) He went to this Brooke Shaws... who, in the event, hadnt got the part so they spent some time doing a quick repair so we could get home...all FOC...as I said happy, civilised times!🧐