Hobsons Choice Steels

neddy

21 minutes ago, rob123 said:

Any date to them and where Hibson's steel?

Presume Hobson & Houghton Co. trading as Hobson,Sheffield, I can just make out a gh in the line above Sheffield, 

would make the address Don Steel Works, 124 Saville Street.

Latterly, Hobson and Houghton was a part of the Neepsend Steel and Tool Corporation and were operating sheet rolling mills on Savile Street. If you look at the handles on the paper knives there appears "Trade Mark Trusty" which I don't think had anything to do with Hobson Houghton. The handles appear to be a casting.

I wonder if they were intended as a marketing device and has anyone thought what  a "Hobsons Choice " was?

24 minutes ago, lysandernovo said:

Latterly, Hobson and Houghton was a part of the Neepsend Steel and Tool Corporation and were operating sheet rolling mills on Savile Street. If you look at the handles on the paper knives there appears "Trade Mark Trusty" which I don't think had anything to do with Hobson Houghton. The handles appear to be a casting.

I wonder if they were intended as a marketing device and has anyone thought what  a "Hobsons Choice " was?

There was Hobson's Choice off Walkley Lane, so perhaps a play on that.

Except I do not think that the Trade mark" Trusty" is one belonging to Hobson Houghton...but I may well be wrong. A trip( when we are virus free) to the archives is needed methinks....but I like the idea that there is "no other choice"!😃

The business was founded in 1828 by Francis Hobson, one of the first men to inroduce modern methods in the manufacture of high class tool steel. He used his name as inspiration for the name of his special branch of steel “Choice” and  “Hobson’s Choice”.

Fred William Seaman, who had previously worked for Edgar Allens, and William Dickenson Houghton, a steel wire manufacturer in Warrington, were in partnership with Hobson from 1890 until 1897. The new partnership had taken over Hobson’s rolling mill. Houghton was a sleeping partner, Seaman was the practical one, and Hobson was the commercial man.  The partnership was not very successful, as Seaman and Hobson did not get on, and Houghton planned to let the partnership expire at the end of its seven year term. However there were disagreements about the split of the finaces which had to be resolved in court.

In the 1890’s file manufacture was added to the activities of the firm.  The old established concern of George Fisher and Co. file manufacturer of Hoyle Street was purchased, the premises updated and modern machinery installed.

In 1902  Francis Hobson retired and left Elmsdale at the corner of Fulwood Road and Hangingwater Road, Ranmoor, and moved to Trowbridge where he died on New Years Day 1913 aged 72.  He left £81,606 12s 6d (intestate) and was buried at Ecclesall churchyard.

A couple of questions, if anyone can confirm these: was the founder of the firm in 1828 then Francis' father? Does anyone know if Francis of Elmsdale was related to Albert Hobson who lived at 381 Fulwood Road (Esholt) around the turn of the 19th/20th century? 

9 hours ago, Jane said:

A couple of questions, if anyone can confirm these: was the founder of the firm in 1828 then Francis' father? Does anyone know if Francis of Elmsdale was related to Albert Hobson who lived at 381 Fulwood Road (Esholt) around the turn of the 19th/20th century? 

Francis Hobson (2) the founder was born on May 30th 1804 at Sheffield the son of Francis (1) a farmer and Elizabeth. Francis (2) married Bridget Caroline Wrightson on 3rd August 1835 at St Thomas, Birmingham. Their son Francis (3) was born 13th August 1840 at Philadelphia (father was a merchant), and baptised at St George's, Brook Hill. The founder Francis (2) died on 28th August 1874 at Burnt Stones, Sheffield.

The Albert John Hobson of Fulwood Road was born on 11th August 1861 to William (a collier) and Sabina Hobson of Duke Street, so not a brother of Francis.