Sharrow Vale Road before and after

Sheffield History

Sharrow Vale Road.jpg

Sharrow Vale Road Sheffield.jpg

Before and after of this amazing old photo of Sharrow Vale Road. I think the chimney in the old photo belonged to the slaughterhouse - can anyone confirm?

The Sharrow Vale Laundry Ltd was run by various members of the Watson family.  The operation closed in 1920 as "The Directors are disposing of this Business as they cannot pay the increased demands of the employees, except at a serious loss"

It looks to me that the chimney is part of the Sharrow Vale Laundry. There is certainly a chimney marked at the eastern end of the site adjacent to the Lescar Hotel on 1950s Map 228

sharrow vale laundry map.jpg

I remember it as a laundry in my childhood (40s/50s). I never heard talk of a slaughterhouse on Sharrow Vale Road. The building on the corner of Cowlishaw Road was a wartime fire station and depot. I also recall that the small triangle of land between the bottom snuff mill pond and Sharrow Vale Road was know to all and sundry as the nanny goat field for obvious reasons.  But my favourite spot on that super road....the gateway to an afternoon in Endcliffe Park....was the sweet shop which called itself The Lollipoppery.

On 05/04/2020 at 09:40, Sheffield History said:

Sharrow Vale Road.jpg

Sharrow Vale Road Sheffield.jpg

Before and after of this amazing old photo of Sharrow Vale Road. I think the chimney in the old photo belonged to the slaughterhouse - can anyone confirm?

I lived on Lescar Lane in the 1960s, the Butcher on the corner of Sharrowvale Road and Dyson Place, Sidney Hogg, had a small slaughterhouse on Dyson Place (the building is still there)which was no longer used by then - all, or most, of these small slaughterhouses were closed when the Sheffield Council opened the Municipal Abattoir on Cricket Inn Road/Aston Street in 1929. The large factory chimney in the photograph had gone by 1960 when I moved there but I cannot imagine that there was ever a slaughterhouse of a size needing a chimney like that, ever situated in this area.

• Like 1