Summer Street (where the Ponderosa is now)

Sheffield History

Summer Street.jpg
Summer Street in Sheffield 3 looking to where The Ponderosa is now

Who knows what the huge building is?

1 hour ago, Sheffield History said:

Who knows what the huge building is?

That old one's not Sheffield. I think it's Albert Mills on Albert Street, Huddersfield, from Summer Street.

So disappointed!  Loads of my family members  lived on Summer Street and whilst I’ve seen the one from 1919, I would have loved to see the rest of the Street and to try to catch a glimpse of Great Grandad’s beer house on the corner on Mushroom Lane

13 minutes ago, EllisSearcher said:

So disappointed!  Loads of my family members  lived on Summer Street and whilst I’ve seen the one from 1919, I would have loved to see the rest of the Street and to try to catch a glimpse of Great Grandad’s beer house on the corner on Mushroom Lane

Are any of the above what you were hoping for?

3 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 19.13.27.jpg

This one is DEFINITELY Summer Street in Netherthorpe

This one I have seen before.  I suspect some of the kids would be my relations.

Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 19.19.16.jpg
One of the general area in the mid 1960's

Weston Street from Summer Street looking towards Weston Street Methodist Chapel (right), Mitchell Street (right), Powell Street and Hope Street

Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 19.20.26.jpg

Elevated View from University of Sheffield Arts Tower of Winter Street Hospital (bottom left); Mushroom Lane; Summer Street and Martin Street Flats

3 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 19.14.59.jpg

The rear of Summer Street houses

I think I have seen this one before.  My father was born at number 64. His grandparents ran the Dolphin beer house on the corner of Summer Street and Mushroom Lane. Brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles all lived in the area.  Walter Ellis, was quite a well known character as a parish councillor and the President of the Edge Tool Grinders Society

2 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 19.19.16.jpg
One of the general area in the mid 1960's

Weston Street from Summer Street looking towards Weston Street Methodist Chapel (right), Mitchell Street (right), Powell Street and Hope Street

I know the area well as I work in the area.  My maternal grandmother grew up on Mitchell Street and maternal grandad on Fawcett street

2 minutes ago, EllisSearcher said:

I think I have seen this one before.  My father was born at number 64. His grandparents ran the Dolphin beer house on the corner of Summer Street and Mushroom Lane. Brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles all lived in the area.  Walter Ellis, was quite a well known character as a parish councillor and the President of the Edge Tool Grinders Society

I can't find any photos of the Dolphin - have you ever seen any?

Just now, Sheffield History said:

I can't find any photos of the Dolphin - have you ever seen any?

No, I'm guessing it was like a double fronted corner shop with beer on one side and groceries on the other.  Walter and Harriet started out at no 19, ct 2 and worked their way up the street as they prospered.  I intend to try to map out who lived where using census records and the street map, which was kindly shared with me on a previous post.  What I’d really like is to buy a print of the map to work from.  Walter was killed by a tram in 1909.  I think he either had a stroke or was affected from years of being a grinder. He was a friend of William Broadhead.  They used to drink together with my uncles in the Red House at the top of Solly Street

Can I get copies of any of these photos so I can share with my cousins in USA?

thanks