The Bridge Inn on Castle Green / Bridge Street

Sheffield History

Bridge Inn Sheffield.jpg

The Bridge Inn pub on the corner of Bridge Street and Castle Green.

Am I right in thinking that this is all demolished now and the location of the new magistrates court buildings?

30 minutes ago, madannie77 said:

It has indeed all gone and is the Magistrates Court, Castle Green now being a cul-de-sac running from Castle Street to the back of the Magistrates Court.

Side by SIde map comparison: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=53.38532&lon=-1.46537&layers=168&right=osm

That link is fantastic! Never seen that side by side map thing before. Brilliant stuff

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 14.42.21.jpg
Side by Side map showing Castle Green on the older left map going all the way down from Castle Street to Bridge Street

• Like 1

As one thing often leads to another on here...

Whilst perusing old maps of the area, I came across this 1896 insurance map. What interests me here is the "Subway" running from the Exchange Brewery, under Castle Green, to a Van Shed and Beer Cellar. Do we know anything more about this subway?

maps_145_b_21_(2)_f016r[SVC2].jpg

Zoomable version of map at British Library (requires Adobe Flash Player). I can't get it to work on my laptop :(

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 15.19.14.jpg

On first guess it looks like a sneaky passageway from the Tennant Brothers brewery to a beer cellar.

Very strange..

Castle Green Sheffield.jpg

Entrance from Castle Green to the Stables and Malt kilns, W.H. Birks and Co. (later occupied by Duncan and Gilmour and Co.), Lady's Bridge Brewery. A subterranean passage ran below ground between Exchange Brewery on Bridge Street and Castle Green