Shop on Corner of Priory Road and Sharrow Lane

Sheffield History

91243824_1527378507429613_4749106421935636480_n.jpg

Does anyone remember this shop on the corner of Priory Road, and Sharrow Lane?

Used to buy my sunday papers from there. Had to put all the supplements together with the paper, they were all spread out on the floor. Woman who owned it very scary. Think the Star called her the battling granny after fighting off group of teenagers trying to rob the shop.

47 minutes ago, rob123 said:

Used to buy my sunday papers from there. Had to put all the supplements together with the paper, they were all spread out on the floor. Woman who owned it very scary. Think the Star called her the battling granny after fighting off group of teenagers trying to rob the shop.

hehe

Hi,

I lived in the Sharrow area from the late 80's until the late 2000's. Wasn't the owner of this shop called 'Betty'? I have a vague memory of an article in the Star which described the attempted attack on Betty's Shop. Something along the lines of  - Betty in her steel toe capped boots said "they'll get nothing here!".Unfortunately I can't remember when that was or when the shop closed.

Wazzie Worrall  

On 21/05/2020 at 11:59, Paul Worrall said:

Hi,

I lived in the Sharrow area from the late 80's until the late 2000's. Wasn't the owner of this shop called 'Betty'? I have a vague memory of an article in the Star which described the attempted attack on Betty's Shop. Something along the lines of  - Betty in her steel toe capped boots said "they'll get nothing here!".Unfortunately I can't remember when that was or when the shop closed.

Wazzie Worrall  

Hi Again,

Thinking about the newspaper shop on Sharrow Lane, I believe the 'steel toe capped' owner's name was either Betty Hill or possibly Betty Hall - any ideas? Dennis Barham would know but he's not been seen in the area since the late 80's!

Wazzie Worrall

My children and their friends used to go in there, early 90s (?) and would say they were going to Sweaty Bettys.

From when I was born in 1942 until some time in the late Fifties the shop was owned and run by Mr and Mrs Pegg who lived at the rear. Most of us Fentonvillains delivered papers for them (And Allots of Wolstenholme Rd) sometime in our youth. Mr Pegg, I have a notion he was called Frank, was very tall but with  an increasing stoop.  Their kitchen could be seen from the shop and it was always cold. They rarely had a fire going. 

They also sold cigs and a few sweets but little else. It was a very austere shop.  They must have had a very sparse livelihood. 

Hi Fentonvillain,

That's a very interesting observation. The directory's, Kelly's etc, for the 40/50's show how many small 'frontroom' shops  there were in the Sharrow, Highfield, Lake District area. People didn't tend to have cars or fridges so they counldn't go very far or could keep food fresh, many things had to be bought on a daily basis. We lived on Buttermere Rd (Lake District) in the early 70's and it was interesting to note how many shops have been converted into houses by then. I talked to some of the older people who had lived around in the area from the 40's and they said a lot of the 'frontroom shops' allowed You to take items on 'tick' and You paid Your bill on Thursday or Friday when You were paid. It was very much a 'cash economy' - How things have changed!

Wazzie Worrall. 

• Like 1

On 10/02/2021 at 13:57, Paul Worrall said:

I talked to some of the older people who had lived around in the area from the 40's and they said a lot of the 'frontroom shops' allowed You to take items on 'tick' and You paid Your bill on Thursday or Friday

Indeed. And the Peggs were quite charitable in that respect. On Fentonville St we had a corner shop on the corner of Stemp St which was a godsend for my mum. The opposite corner was a chipshop. At the bottom of Stemp St on Langdon St there were shops on each corner . (I recall one was Margerison's), There was Mrs Britland at the bottom of Croydon St and on the corner of Langdon St/Mackenzie St Mrs Dronfield's off licence dispensed beer in jugs. She was also disposed to a slate. There was Nora's chippy half way along that block and another shop opposite Mrs Dronfield. What choice! But really there was no choice. For most of my childhood sweets were rationed, just like bacon, sugar and many other commodities.  Lockdown due to Covid has nothing on the hardships of wartime and post war Sheffield. But, hey ! I'm 79 and still got all my marbles (not literally, I gave that up when I was about 10 yrs) and I have nothing but happy memories of Fentonville St and Sharrow, Sharrow Lane School and all of my peer group of that era. 

• Like 1

I was born in Priory Terrace  in 1943  and remember the Pegg's in that corner shop. A neighbour sent his young daughter in to pick up a Green Un and she politely asked Mr Pegg for a Green One please :) .  Also recall a BeerOff on the opposite corner of Sharrow Lane run by the Morton's and Nolkes the Barber further down where I remember having my haircut for 1/- as a youngster. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Michael G.Sammons said:

I was born in Priory Terrace  in 1943  and remember the Pegg's in that corner shop. A neighbour sent his young daughter in to pick up a Green Un and she politely asked Mr Pegg for a Green One please :) .  Also recall a BeerOff on the opposite corner of Sharrow Lane run by the Morton's and Nolkes the Barber further down where I remember having my haircut for 1/- as a youngster. 

I feel I should know you, Michael, but your name isn't familiar. I recall the Kays, the Baxters and the lads who live in the yard behind Peggs whose name was Bower but their Christian names escape me for the moment. They also had a cousin called Kevin who lived a little further along Priory Road. But maybe you didn't live there long?   I was born in 42 and left Sharrow Lane after 11plus in 1953.  We lived on the corner of Penley St and Fentonville St.  

At the time of my birth, Dad was in the RAMC and saw me for the first time after WW2 had ended. We lived with my grandparents at the time with their back yard and big sliding green gate facing Sharrow Lane and I believe the Kays lived next door. At the other side of No. 3 on the  Pegg's side, the Pexton family lived in the first house on Priory Road and it was their daughter who asked for a Green On. In 1952 when both my grandparents had died the tenancy passed on to my Aunt and Uncle whose surname was Ellis. In the bad Winter of 1947 our family moved to a new Prefab in Shirecliffe where we lived for almost 12 years.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2022 at 21:15, Michael G.Sammons said:

At the time of my birth, Dad was in the RAMC and saw me for the first time after WW2 had ended. We lived with my grandparents at the time with their back yard and big sliding green gate facing Sharrow Lane and I believe the Kays lived next door. At the other side of No. 3 on the  Pegg's side, the Pexton family lived in the first house on Priory Road and it was their daughter who asked for a Green On. In 1952 when both my grandparents had died the tenancy passed on to my Aunt and Uncle whose surname was Ellis. In the bad Winter of 1947 our family moved to a new Prefab in Shirecliffe where we lived for almost 12 years.

So you were probably in the same class at Sharrow Lane Infants until you were 5?  Did you go to Denby St nursery?  Did you know that we have been having (until Covid intervened) re-unions at Sharrow Lane School from time to time and almost all of the kids who lived on Fentonville St have been having their own re-unions since about 2001 ? (Hence the name Fentonvillain).  Quite a few have involved the Kays, and others from that end of the street.    The cafe at the school (which is now not a school but a community centre) closed in 2019 but we are hoping that another reunion may still be possible before we all go off to the people museum. By the way, I have now recalled the names of the family just the other side of Pegg's...it was the Bowers. They would be the same age as you. 

I never attended Sharrow Lane, but my cousin who was born in 1947 did. I believe that all her A Stream class passed the 11+ and half the B Stream in her final year at Junior School. It was a shame that I didn't has it certainly had better academic results than Shirecliffe which was a more modern school and also no longer exists!

• Like 1

• My Grandmother was Mrs. Kay who lived at no. 5 Priory Terrace, along with various uncles and aunts who were born mainly in the 30's and 40's. I also remember the Mansells who live on the other side of the terrace and also remember using the corner shop on many occasion.
  • Like 1

Can anyone on here recall the sweet shop in Sharrow Lane between Langdon St and Washington Road?  I recall it becoming popular when sweet rationing ended but very little else about who ran it etc.  My first memory is of seeing artificial Mars Bars in the window at a time when there were no Mars Bars available and we kids had no idea what they were....and buying a chocolate bar of Caley Milk Tray which had maggots in it !