Penistone Road opposite Hillsborough Park Entrance

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 12.41.00.jpg

Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 12.43.51.jpg

Shot of Penistone Road from Hillsborough Park

The same shot now would be looking over the new Penistone Road and over to the right would be Hillsborough Swimming Baths

The house on the right just past the first lot of shops and next to the second man (walking towards the camera) is No 860 Penistone Road. Parkside Road is on the left where the lorry is emerging. I bought the house in 1972 for £850 from Sheffield Council (going cheap) as it was suffering from "planning blight" and scheduled for demolition due to the planned road widening. They wanted it back in 1977 and gave me what was then "market value" £6,500. Wish I had been able to by a dozen, I'd be a millionaire by now! My family had lived next door at No 862 since before WW2 and I was born there. The other view shows No 860 immediately to the right of the Park Keeper's Lodge (covered in ivy - it's an earlier photo than the other one). The shops from left to right there were Bray's the grocers, Gould's the Newsagent's and Hopkinson's the Greengrocer on the corner of Dutton Road. The newsagent was sold to the Fairclough's who also bought Brays and turned it into a double fronted shop. Brings back many, many memories of the area.

5 hours ago, Pollydumpling said:

I bought the house in 1972 for £850 from Sheffield Council (going cheap) as it was suffering from "planning blight" and scheduled for demolition due to the planned road widening. They wanted it back in 1977 and gave me what was then "market value" £6,500. Wish I had been able to by a dozen, I'd be a millionaire by now! 

That's amazing! ha ha! Never heard of this before. Fantastic five year increase in value!