Robin Hood Road at Wincobank

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 12.12.04.jpg

Screenshot 2020-04-01 at 12.12.56.jpg

Some fantastic old houses on Robin Hood Road at Wincobank, taken from Newman Road

I don't suppose they were really very fantastic to live in, as detailed maps suggest that they were back to backs.

Whilst perusing some old maps to get my bearings (Wincobank not being a part of the city I now very well) I note that between the publication of 25 inch maps in 1905 and 1923 the roads in this area got renamed:

School Street became Robin Hood Road

Princes Street became Prestwich Street

Thomas Street became Tansley Street

Victoria Road became Vauxhall Road:

wincobank 1905.jpg

wincobank1923.jpg

• Thanks 1

In the collection of OS 1/1250 plans on this site No.172 shows the unusual numbering of the 'back' properties in Robin Hood Road, the adjacent plan to the east is No.126 but neither is coloured in on the index map so easily missed.

Starting from Newman Road with Nos.1 to 17, with the backs being 19 to 37 again starting from Newman Road!  No even numbers used.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Voldy said:

In the collection of OS 1/1250 plans on this site No.172 shows the unusual numbering of the 'back' properties in Robin Hood Road, the adjacent plan to the east is No.126 but neither is coloured in on the index map so easily missed.

Starting from Newman Road with Nos.1 to 17, with the backs being 19 to 37 again starting from Newman Road!  No even numbers used.

Map_172__watermk__upload..jpg

© Crown Copyright 1954, Reproduced by kind permission of the Ordnance Survey

My GG Grandfather, George, lived at 17 Robin Hood Row / Road / School Street between 1881 and his death in 1909.  The family stated their address as number 37 in 1909, so I'm not sure if they moved into the rear half, or more likely knocked through and lived in both halves of the back to back.  The road name changed from Robin Hood Row to School Street after the new Board school was opened in 1884, but later returned to Robin Hood Road.   The rent for the houses in School Street was £80 12s 0d and the ground rent £10 19s 0d (per year) in 1892.  My grandfather, Joe, was the lollipop man at the school in the 1960s/70s.

1 hour ago, lysandernovo said:

I have a feeling I was once told that the road was named after a beer house or pub.

I think that was the Sheffield Indexers - they mistranscribed Robin Hood Row as Robin Hood Inn, I don't believe there was ever a pub there.