Arctic Monkeys - When The Sun Goes Down video film locations

Arctic Monkeys - When The Sun Goes Down music video filming locations

For those who haven't seen this Arctic Monkeys video it features a number of Sheffield locations, some quite prominent like Park Hill flats which is obvious, but other ones more subtle.

See how many you can spot as we track down as many filming locations from this video as possible and see if anything's changed since 2008 when the Arctic Monkeys first uploaded this video.

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 18.18.50.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 18.47.30.jpg
The first shot (an excellent shot too) is of our subject stood in the snow at Park Hill flats.

The flats have since undergone a huge refurbishment project (still ongoing) 

This is close as I can get on Google Maps Street View - Rhodes Street on the Park Hill estate.

The actress would be slightly behind the camera on this photo with the bush on the left showing in the video, the wall in front of us showing, and then the background of the flats and the trees matching up perfectly.

Location number one solved!

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 18.14.31.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 19.45.54.jpg

Next location and here we have a dark looking Sheffield with a huge gas tower in the background.

This one stumped us. We looked at the gas tower in the background and thought it might be over where the other filming location is near Blast Lane and the canal but after ages scouring google maps and trying to trigger memories we turned to our fantastic facebook community page and almost immediately Roy Nowill (thanks Roy!) sprang up to tell us the building was Xavier Motors at Neepsend!

Further hunting took us to Hoyland Road and bang - there it was

Superb teamwork - thank you community!

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 18.15.25.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 18.44.46.jpg

Next up was easier than most as it's a very clear looking Horse & Lion pub building which I remembered was up on Park Grange Road.

Dead easy one this. Since the pub closed down it's been a fish and chip shop and a Premier Convenience Store

Despite a new appearance and the introduction of the Supertram posts it's still easy peasy to see it was the exact same place

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 18.15.49.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 18.55.24.jpg

For this location it was relatively straight forward to locate.

Some of this Arctic Monkeys music video was shot at night but it's still easy enough to spot enough detail to pin it down.

Just a few steps up from the Horse and Lion pub on Park Grange Pub that we found earlier (see above)  is a path running down alongside the road.

This drops you down a bit where you can get the same position as in the video (we were limited to using Google Maps Street View for this exercise due to being isolated during the Coronavirus Covid19 outbreak)

So basically this is where this shot was done - just down the left of our google maps shot and facing up towards the flats on the right hand side across Park Grange Road.

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 18.16.02.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 19.02.26.jpg

This one threw me at first. I could tell we were looking down a hill towards Sheffield City Centre, on a supertram track based road and it took me a minute to realise that it was still at the location of the above pub shot at the Horse and Lion pub on Park Grange Road.

On the path outside of the pub looking straight down to the city centre you can see the pub sign in shot in the video as well as the bridge over the road.

Another one solved!

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 18.16.16.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 19.08.41.jpg

Really straightforward this one for me as I used to work down this neck of the woods in Sheffield.

Sipelia Works is on Cadman Street just off Blast Lane near Derek Dooley Way and next to the canal

This was the location I knew the first time I saw this Arctic Monkeys video

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 18.17.02.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 20.08.41.jpg

This one gave us the most fun! Despite putting it out on social media we had no luck and then by absolute chance I just thought wonder if it is somewhere near one of the other film locations for this video, and took a look around Neepsend.

Now we can't be 100% absolutely confirmed on this one but looking at the way the door opens, the windows and the tables inside and counter etc I'm pretty certain The Diner at Neepsend is the place.

Look at the reflection in the window of the music video shot - there's a vertical refridgerator in shot, and in the pic of the Diner at Neepsend you can see it behind the counter.

Take a look. What do you think?

Did we get this one right?

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 18.17.42.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 19.36.53.jpg

Another easy one from the video clips that show Sheffield at night and in the rain and snow at full speed!

On the right Bramall Lane the home of Sheffield United and down the left you can see the Cricketers Arms pub

Surprised that the band put Bramall Lane in their video as at the time only bassist Andy Nicholson was a Sheffield United fan. The rest of the band are lifelong Sheffield Wednesday fans!

See also ARCTIC MONKEYS - LEAVE BEFORE THE LIGHTS COME ON FILMING LOCATIONS