Penistone Road widening and the buildings lost

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 12.44.52.jpg

Here's a view across the city from Kelvin Flats showing some of the buildings and businesses lost during Penistone Road widening.

Do you remember any of the pubs, businesses or buildings that we lost during this road widening scheme?

Am I right that there was a churchyard/graveyard there too?

3 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 12.44.52.jpg

Here's a view across the city from Kelvin Flats showing some of the buildings and businesses lost during Penistone Road widening.

Do you remember any of the pubs, businesses or buildings that we lost during this road widening scheme?

Am I right that there was a churchyard/graveyard there too?

Looks like The Lancers  is boarded up, the St. Philips graveyard is the green patch with the bumpy wall around it.

1 hour ago, neddy said:

Looks like The Lancers  is boarded up, the St. Philips graveyard is the green patch with the bumpy wall around it.

Thank you - I was sure there was a graveyard.

Whereabouts on the photo is The Lancers?

39 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Thank you - I was sure there was a graveyard.

Whereabouts on the photo is The Lancers?

Opposite the bottom of the graveyard, next to the modern looking office block think that was Geo. Clarke rolling mills, the end of which can be seen in your last pic.

We’ve lost so much just for the car to get ease of travel, the councillors in the town hall at the time should have hung their heads shame, the oldest parts of the city, High Street, Cambridge Street, Backfields, Rockingham Lane etc are now a complete joke, buildings designed by Stevie Wonder.

On 28/03/2020 at 16:11, neddy said:

Yes, and the traffic used to flow clockwise round it.

At the far end you could turn right at traffic lights to go up St Philips Road.

Is this a stupid question but where is the church that belongs to the graveyard?

Surely it can't be the one up at the top of Netherthorpe?

The church stood between Infirmary Road and Penistone Road next to the graveyard. It was closed in 1940 and demolished about 10 years later:

A very old thread on St Philips Church: https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/674-st-philips-church/

st philips then and now map.jpg

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=53.39002&lon=-1.48012&layers=168&right=BingHyb