The Burgoyne Arms pub on Langsett Road

Sheffield History

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 17.31.13.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 17.31.38.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 17.32.05.jpg

The Burgoyne Arms on Langsett Road used to be an extremely popular pub but has closed now.

I went in there a few times on a weekend night, and saw probably the worst pub singer I've ever seen in there.

Does anyone remember it? 

Have you been in there?

Used to go in there every Saturday night in the 60's.

Brilliant music from The Bill Hogan Trio with guest singers.

Later becoming The Conways, a 5 piece band with Barry and Barbara Mullen as main singers.

The place used to be packed solid.

Was in there when we learned of President Kennedy's assassination.

On 28/03/2020 at 09:38, Organgrinder said:

Used to go in there every Saturday night in the 60's.

Brilliant music from The Bill Hogan Trio with guest singers.

Later becoming The Conways, a 5 piece band with Barry and Barbara Mullen as main singers.

The place used to be packed solid.

Was in there when we learned of President Kennedy's assassination.

Barry Mullen was my brother-in-law. After a career for some years as a solo singer touring the WMC's of South Yorkshire & South Wales he and my sister Ann went on to be managers of the Burgoyne Arms, The Elm Tree at Sheffield Lane Top and the Bath Hotel on Burgoyne Road. Barry used to sing a lot of Roy Orbison songs and he was big friends with local comedian Bobby Knutt and had earlier been rivals with Joe Cocker in talent competitions held at the Black Swan on Snig Hill. Barry sadly died in 2002 aged 64 but my sister is still alive and living in Southey Green.

44 minutes ago, Pollydumpling said:

Barry Mullen was my brother-in-law. After a career for some years as a solo singer touring the WMC's of South Yorkshire & South Wales he and my sister Ann went on to be managers of the Burgoyne Arms, The Elm Tree at Sheffield Lane Top and the Bath Hotel on Burgoyne Road. Barry used to sing a lot of Roy Orbison songs and he was big friends with local comedian Bobby Knutt and had earlier been rivals with Joe Cocker in talent competitions held at the Black Swan on Snig Hill. Barry sadly died in 2002 aged 64 but my sister is still alive and living in Southey Green.

I knew that Barry had managed the Elm Tree and saw him there a few times, Never knew he had managed the Burgoyne or I would have been down there again.

Didn't know he'd managed the Bath also. The last time I ever saw him he told me about his sandwich van so I went down there and spoke to his daughter after I learned of his death.

I used to go to a lot of gigs with them when they worked the clubs and remember sharing the back of the van with Bobby Knutt a couple of times.

Such a talented family with Barbara, Terry and Byron having good voices too. I always rated Barry as the best male singer I had ever heard ans still do.

Best wishes to you all, especially your sister Ann and the kids, who must have been devastated at the time.

The Burgoyne Arms was once noted for an old spa well around the back; reportedly popular long before the current building was erected.

In 1859 the proprietor (replacing William Lister) was Robert Hales, a celebrated giant (said to be 7ft 8 ins tall, chest size 64 ins) and ‘the Wonder of all Europe and America’ - after many sea travels and an engagement in Barnum's American Museum, he ‘cast anchor at the Burgoyne Arms’ with the English ‘General Tom Thumb’ (another circus act) a frequent visitor.

Source (& quotes): 1860 advertising pamphlet, Sheffield local studies.

11 hours ago, Jim2000 said:

The Burgoyne Arms was once noted for an old spa well around the back; reportedly popular long before the current building was erected.

In 1859 the proprietor (replacing William Lister) was Robert Hales, a celebrated giant (said to be 7ft 8 ins tall, chest size 64 ins) and ‘the Wonder of all Europe and America’ - after many sea travels and an engagement in Barnum's American Museum, he ‘cast anchor at the Burgoyne Arms’ with the English ‘General Tom Thumb’ (another circus act) a frequent visitor.

Source (& quotes): 1860 advertising pamphlet, Sheffield local studies.

Robert had a son called General age 12 in 1861 at the Burgoyne Arms.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, neddy said:

Robert had a son called General age 12 in 1861 at the Burgoyne Arms.

You’re right - just looked. I also forgot Robert Hales was from Norfolk - The ‘Norfolk Giant’! (sound of two pennies dropping....)
So I presume ‘General Tom Thumb’ was really a child (their son) masquerading as a very small adult.

ED87A37F-29CD-469B-9ADB-3F3651C659EF.jpeg.8e10b00afc8c9b74b60bbe606a0d9dae.jpeg

There were a lot of these ‘Infant Wonders’ among travelling acts - just think of ‘Ninetta the Infant Phenomenon’ in Dickens (Nicholas Nickleby). In fact her parents gave her GIN-AND-WATER daily to stunt her growth, because appearing very small was what kept the crowds coming back!

Maybe that’s one reason General’s parents went into the licensed trade at the Burgoyne Arms....

I’m curious to know what was “close behind the Burgoyne Arms” right at the bottom of this cutting, does it refer to the old spa well?

44 minutes ago, Sadbrewer said:

Screenshot_20200519-130139.jpg

55 minutes ago, Jim2000 said:

I’m curious to know what was “close behind the Burgoyne Arms” right at the bottom of this cutting, does it refer to the old spa well?

It certainly does Jim....I'll try and find the rest of the article.

Thanks for this. Wonder if there are traces of the spa well? There’s a road running behind the Burgoyne Arms and I remember seeing part of an odd structure of old stonework visible over the wall, could this be connected?

25 minutes ago, Jim2000 said:

Thanks for this. Wonder if there are traces of the spa well? There’s a road running behind the Burgoyne Arms and I remember seeing part of an odd structure of old stonework visible over the wall, could this be connected?

Do you mean the castle like structure, that was built by the owner of a fruit and veg shop next door, I think in the 70's.

• Like 2

Ah - thanks Neddy, thought I was on to something but it turned out to be something mundane after all !

Brilliant! But more questions than answers looking through the threads. Joining the dots - it may have been re-built from an older building? Sorry to go on about the old Spa Well, but there were some strange constructions around the country built over old spa wells, there’s one in the backstreets of Whitby and closer to home there was a stone tower over the old spa well at Rockley (near Wentworth Castle) which was castellated (on old photos) and now lies in ruins.

Have started a new separate thread on this old spa well (if that's what it is!) in the main Sheffield History section