Jump to content
Sheffield History

Button Lane in Sheffield City Centre

Recommended Posts

Looking for as much information as possible about Button Lane in Sheffield City Centre.

The shops, businesses, houses there and as many photographs as possible!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 20.45.12.jpg

The Angel Inn pub which was at number 18-22 Button Lane in Sheffield City Centre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 20.49.08.jpg

Moorhead from Grapes Hotel, looking across to Button Lane. Nos 18-22, Angel Inn can be seen in background

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 20.52.48.jpg

Premises on Button Lane from Furnival Street, Moorhead, centre, The Moor, left, (foreground), No 2, Moorhead, Roberts Brothers Ltd., General Drapers, Nos 18-22, Button Lane, Angel Inn, No 24, Evans and Green, Confectioners, No 26, Skidmores, Pork

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 20.58.17.jpg

The Moor, looking towards Button Lane, Moorhead and Pinstone Street showing the effects of the Blitz, rear of Hippodrome Theatre on Cambridge Street, in background

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 20.59.42.jpg

Button Lane looking towards junction of Fitzwilliam Street, No 210-216, Fitzwilliam Street, Jn Bleakley, Provision Merchants

August 1960

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 21.01.07.jpg

Button Lane at the junction with Rockingham Street showing former Wentworth House P.H. (later tailors premises) looking towards Nos 61-73 Sheffields' first Council Houses

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 21.02.47.jpg

Rockingham Lane and Button Lane, No 56 and 58, Button Lane, P. Hewitt and Co., Electrical Engineers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 21.03.55.jpg

Rockingham Street and Button Lane, former premises of Harry Polan and Co. Ltd. lead pipe manufacturers, 262 Rockingham Street (Wentworth Lead Works), No 268, Sheffield Theatrical Supplies, left

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 21.05.26.jpg

Button Lane from Rockingham Street, No 268, Rockingham Street, Sheffield Theatrical Supplies, Theatrical Costumiers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sheffield History said:

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 21.01.07.jpg

Button Lane at the junction with Rockingham Street showing former Wentworth House P.H. (later tailors premises) looking towards Nos 61-73 Sheffield's' first Council Houses

 

A bit off topic! Can anyone identify for me the makes of the cars in the line up on the left? starting with the one with the L plate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VW Beetle, Jag, Standard(?), Ford and Austin I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/03/2020 at 10:48, Oldbloke said:

VW Beetle, Jag, Standard(?), Ford and Austin I think.

Thanks Oldbloke. Like you i also identified it as a VW Beetle! Got a text from a mate of mine, he says it's a Renault 4cv, don't remember seeing any of those knocking about in the 60s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, southside said:

Thanks Oldbloke. Like you i also identified it as a VW Beetle! Got a text from a mate of mine, he says it's a Renault 4cv, don't remember seeing any of those knocking about in the 60s.

I'd say it was a Renault 4CV, rather than a VW Beetle of the era in question (o/a 1960).

Attached are images of a 1958 Renault 4CV (the outdoor shot) and a 1960 VW Beetle (the showroom shot). Compare the rear engine cowl vents, the rear lights, the rear window....... which one do you think it looks most like???

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 15.32.12.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 15.35.56.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RLongden said:

I'd say it was a Renault 4CV, rather than a VW Beetle of the era in question (o/a 1960).

Attached are images of a 1958 Renault 4CV (the outdoor shot) and a 1960 VW Beetle (the showroom shot). Compare the rear engine cowl vents, the rear lights, the rear window....... which one do you think it looks most like???

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 15.32.12.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 15.35.56.jpg

It could well be, I've never seen one of those before. They must have been pretty rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×