Button Lane in Sheffield City Centre

Sheffield History

23 minutes ago, Lysanderix said:

Could it be that it’s name derives from a Mr Button?

That may well be, extract from the 1787 directory doesn't really prove anything only that buttons were being produced close by.

1787 directory of Sheffield

Holy and Newbould, button makers, Sheffield moor
Hoole John, button maker, Sheffield Moor

As a matter of interest , I understand the VW was only ever made with 2 doors whereas the 4cv had 4 . They were not that common(back then most cars were of UK manufacture). Renault cars had only a small UK market penetration until somewhat later. My old  family doctor only ever drove Renaults as he considered them “reliable”.

8 hours ago, Lysanderix said:

As a matter of interest , I understand the VW was only ever made with 2 doors whereas the 4cv had 4 . They were not that common(back then most cars were of UK manufacture). Renault cars had only a small UK market penetration until somewhat later. My old  family doctor only ever drove Renaults as he considered them “reliable”.

Actually they were a bit more common than you might think, Sheffield Motor Co, on West Street were Renault dealers from at least 1919, in the 1930's Waterhouse Garage on Gibraltar Street sold Renault from the late 1930's and then post war Moore & Younie on Suffolk Road sold them. My dad was in the motor trade in the 50's and 60's and I can remember Renault 4CV, later 4's plus Dauphines and Caravelles  coming in as part exchange.

The Renault Dauphine was the car which ,to me, first popularised the marque.

As for the word “button” SteveHB contribution is fascinating!

When I lived on the Manor Estate, as a child I was forever digging up pieces Mother of Pearl with round holes in them, it was obvious that they were the oddments from button making and when my brother in law was working on old houses on Chippinghouse Road he found loads of mother of pearl scrap bits in the cellar of one house left by someone who was making buttons either as an out worker or as a little mester.

Not an answer to the original question but i have found this letter about an occurrence on Button Lane.

Sheffield Independent 11 August 1827

Sheffield 2.JPG

Family lore has it that Maurice Foster and his wife Lily Myers had a 'doss house' on Button Lane, 'Long Sammy' being one of their guests. Maurice served with Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry in WW1. Any information from trade directories , etc gratefully received. 

9 hours ago, Old Sheffield said:

Family lore has it that Maurice Foster and his wife Lily Myers had a 'doss house' on Button Lane, 'Long Sammy' being one of their guests. Maurice served with Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry in WW1. Any information from trade directories , etc gratefully received. 

Kelly's published 1925

Foster Maurice B. registered lodging house, 77 Button Lane.

Maurice was called up and signed on at Ecclesall on 10th December 1915, giving his occupation as "Labourer, now manager of lodging house" at 77 Button Lane. He was 31 years and 6 months old, 5 feet 3 and a half inches tall, with a mole on his right cheek and a tattoo on his left forearm. Lily was his next of kin, and they had married at the Register Office on 5th November 1911. Maurice was put into the reserve and was not mobilised until September 1918.  He was discharged in February 1919 after spending 10 days in hospital with bronchitis.

His call up papers arrived shortly after the death of a friend, Private George Hague, a regular since 1913 in the 1/4th (Hallamshire) Battalion of the York and Lancaster Regiment, who had been killed in Belgium on 16th October 1915. Lily and Maurice had placed a memoriam notice in the Telegraph: "He nobly answered duty's call, His life he gave for one and all".

The Button Lane lodging house appeared in the papers in 1928:

810349368_MauriceFoster1928.png.9581461c7f521da4e88faf8f5275fc82.png

At the 1921 census there were 66 people (including the Fosters) living at 77 Button Lane.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 03/09/2022 at 09:47, Edmund said:

Maurice was called up and signed on at Ecclesall on 10th December 1915, giving his occupation as "Labourer, now manager of lodging house" at 77 Button Lane. He was 31 years and 6 months old, 5 feet 3 and a half inches tall, with a mole on his right cheek and a tattoo on his left forearm. Lily was his next of kin, and they had married at the Register Office on 5th November 1911. Maurice was put into the reserve and was not mobilised until September 1918.  He was discharged in February 1919 after spending 10 days in hospital with bronchitis.

His call up papers arrived shortly after the death of a friend, Private George Hague, a regular since 1913 in the 1/4th (Hallamshire) Battalion of the York and Lancaster Regiment, who had been killed in Belgium on 16th October 1915. Lily and Maurice had placed a memoriam notice in the Telegraph: "He nobly answered duty's call, His life he gave for one and all".

The Button Lane lodging house appeared in the papers in 1928:

810349368_MauriceFoster1928.png.9581461c7f521da4e88faf8f5275fc82.png

At the 1921 census there were 66 people (including the Fosters) living at 77 Button Lane.

Now this may have solved a mystery, Lily and Maurice had photographs and postcards from a Ernest and Harry Hague and an unsigned  photograph of a soldier in hospital uniform who says he was wounded in 1914. We never knew what the connection was, so quite possibly siblings of his friend George. 

In 1911 Ernest (8) and Herbert (probably Harry, age 4) brothers of George Hague (14), were living at 279 Arundel Street, with mother, widow Mary(34), George (14), Willie (11) and William and Sarah Hague (brother & sister-in-laws of Mary). George and William were pen and table knife grinders.  When George joined up in 1913 they were at 33 Soho street.

18 minutes ago, Edmund said:

In 1911 Ernest (8) and Herbert (probably Harry, age 4) brothers of George Hague (14), were living at 279 Arundel Street, with mother, widow Mary(34), George (14), Willie (11) and William and Sarah Hague (brother & sister-in-laws of Mary). George and William were pen and table knife grinders.  When George joined up in 1913 they were at 33 Soho street.

Left to right.. Herbert, Bill and Ernest Hague. 

20220904_171804.jpg

• Like 2