Kent Road / Gleadless Road

Sheffield History

Kent Road.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-26 at 18.59.42.jpg

Kent Road looking towards Gleadless Road. Court No 1 approached via cutting behind vehicles on right.

The building at the rear of the butchers shop on the right was the slaughter house. 1964.

1 hour ago, neddy said:

We flattened the houses on the left of the top picture, in fact most of the area.

Has it all gone now?

9 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

Has it all gone now?

The houses we demolished certainly have, we were responsible for most of the demolition in that area,Kent, Tillotson, Gleadless, Richards, Anns Roads down to Brammall lane

13 hours ago, neddy said:

The houses we demolished certainly have, we were responsible for most of the demolition in that area,Kent, Tillotson, Gleadless, Richards, Anns Roads down to Brammall lane

May I ask who "We" is.

You probably knocked down the houses where I was born and all those of my very good friends & neighbours.

That was such a lovely and lively place to live and everyone was so friendly and caring.

I would give everything I own to turn the clock back to those days.

I take it you are a Heeley lad yourself and probably in my age group.

4 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

May I ask who "We" is.

You probably knocked down the houses where I was born and all those of my very good friends & neighbours.

That was such a lovely and lively place to live and everyone was so friendly and caring.

I would give everything I own to turn the clock back to those days.

I take it you are a Heeley lad yourself and probably in my age group.

The demolition firm I was with, like most of Sheffield at that time it was a shame to see the neighbourhoods destroyed, not a Heeley lad myself, but  Sheffield born and bred.

To demolish houses that held many memories was sad, the times we sat in attics reading family post cards from the wars was also sad.