Capt T Jackellis

tozzin

I came across this photo on Picture Sheffield , it was his address that sparked my interest, 206, Gleadless Road, I travel on Gleadless Road every week-day, sadly his house has gone but I would like to know more about him.

747BA4D6-C843-4C85-B832-9FC2BCD9562E.jpeg

Captain T. Jackellis (real name Ellis Thompson Jackson) was staying at 206 Gleadless Road in 1932, with the Hopkinson family (Frank was a pork butcher).  Frank's daughter Betty was so impressed with the Captain that she successfully took up the trumpet. Lots more information here: http://temposenzatempo.blogspot.com/2017/03/the-king-of-cornets.html

243243126_Jackellis1939.thumb.png.77946acb5737b5d08542aa1247359276.png

• Like 1

Journalism doesn't improve!  She's playing a cornet with the headline "Began to play trumpet for health's sake".  OK, trumpet and cornet are similar but it's a bit like mixing up the piano and church organ.

Sorry,don't agree with your post, trumpet and cornet require wind (ie.good lungs) and the article makes it clear that the girl chose both instruments for health reasons. A young  relative of mine chose to play the flute and also the piccolo for similar reasons. Using the piano (strings) with church organ (wind with pipes) is a mismatch, both have keyboards but require a different technique to that of wind instruments, 

The point of this thread was to learn about Captain T. Jackellis which Edmund has so well researched, not criticise a 1939 journalist whose report gives us useful details. Please try to offer constructive comments rather than nitpicking.