Where was I?

MartinR

I have a memory of visiting a nightclub or a pub during a university run pub crawl in 1974.  The place was unusual in that it had a covered courtyard with mock shopfronts.  I must confess that I don't remember much more apart from one of our number managing to get served by virtue of having a driving licence and a Student Union card, though he was actually 17 1/2 at the time!😄

Wasn't that the Stonehouse pub as described, next to the Cutler's Hall? But I thought that opened well after 1974?

5 hours ago, rob123 said:

Wasn't that the Stonehouse pub as described, next to the Cutler's Hall? But I thought that opened well after 1974?

I think the Stonhouse opened in 1971.

Thanks all.  This thread https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/16959-can-you-name-this-place/?tab=comments#comment-144664 brings back old memories, as does the reference elsewhere to the roof being painted black with stars.  Part way around a pub crawl it was a bit surrealistic and it took a while to determine that that roof was actually a roof.🍺😊

The manager of Samantha's was promoting halloween at the club carrying a coffin around town with 2 of the barmen. They stopped in the stonehouse courtyard for a drink. But we're asked to leave as the coffin was disturbing the other customers.