Farewell as forename

JohnSp

I came across a footballer Farewell Watts, born 10th March 1904 in Sheffield, who played for Gainsborough Trinity but mostly for Tranmere Rovers. The forename Farewell intrigued me, and it seems from a quick scan of freebmd.org that about 200 children were registered with the forename Farewell between 1837 and 1927, nearly all of them in the Sheffield area (including Rotherham Chesterfield, Barnsley). Incidentally the surname Farewell seems to be found almost exclusively in Kent.

Can anyone shed any light on why the forename Farewell should occur in Sheffield and hardly anywhere else?

P.S. Happy birthday Farewell Watts.farewellwatts.jpg.dbbaf23cbe6c08852bb120d1fbf92afd.jpg

22 hours ago, JohnSp said:

I came across a footballer Farewell Watts, born 10th March 1904 in Sheffield, who played for Gainsborough Trinity but mostly for Tranmere Rovers. The forename Farewell intrigued me, and it seems from a quick scan of freebmd.org that about 200 children were registered with the forename Farewell between 1837 and 1927, nearly all of them in the Sheffield area (including Rotherham Chesterfield, Barnsley). Incidentally the surname Farewell seems to be found almost exclusively in Kent.

Can anyone shed any light on why the forename Farewell should occur in Sheffield and hardly anywhere else?

P.S. Happy birthday Farewell Watts.farewellwatts.jpg.dbbaf23cbe6c08852bb120d1fbf92afd.jpg

Usually with a unusual second name, it’s the surname of his mother before she married, like there was a system for naming male children, the first after the father, the second after the grandfather, the third after if he had one, after the eldest brother and so on. The mother’s maiden name was used quite a lot as a second name but unusually it’s the males that carry the name.

The ancestors of the name Farewell date back to the days of the Anglo-Saxon tribes of Britain. The name is derived from their residence near a pleasant spring or stream. The name Farewell is derived from two Old English elements: fæger, which means fair or beautiful; and well, which was the name for a spring.

My grandfather had the middle name Farewell. His full name was Sam Farewell Unwin.  Several other relatives had the same name.  As far as I know it’s not a mother’s maiden name.  I never knew my grandfather as he and my grandmother divorced sometime before 1944.  My parents told me that the Farewell was pronounced Farrell.

• Like 1

I came across a gravestone in Dore churchyard recently, with the name of 'Farewell Taylor', died 1930s.

Hi!

Farewell Watts was my grandfather.

He told us that he was given the name when his parents were told at the time of his birth that he likely wouldn’t survive. 
He went by the nickname Spro and also Fred.

Alison Watts Koblin

• Like 1

Thank you so much Alison for replying.

His parents must have been so sad to be told that news, but all the more joyful when he not only survived but grew up physically robust enough to be a professional footballer. And to live long enough to know his grandchildren. 

John Spooner

A really nice bloke I knew when I was young was Farewell Sellers. As kids we called him Uncle though he was just a family friend, he drove a wagon for Hodkin and Jones.  He must be dead by now,  If I ever get to Sheffield again I would like to find his grave.

On 13/08/2023 at 21:27, boginspro said:

A really nice bloke I knew when I was young was Farewell Sellers. As kids we called him Uncle though he was just a family friend, he drove a wagon for Hodkin and Jones.  He must be dead by now,  If I ever get to Sheffield again I would like to find his grave.

Farewell Sellars was the great grandson of the first ever named goalscorer in football. David Sellars Sheffield huntsman my 4th great grandfather, Mothers side. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aaron James Hartley said:

Farewell Sellars was the great grandson of the first ever named goalscorer in football. David Sellars Sheffield huntsman my 4th great grandfather, Mothers side. 

Interesting in many ways, can you tell me more please.

I don't know anything about football history but I think the great grandson of the Farewell I knew would be of football playing age about 1820.