BBC Panorama 1974 Sheffield Schools

Mark1959

This has cropped up before; however I would like to hear from people who were at one of the 3 or 4 schools in 1974 (pupils or staff) that BBC Panorama used in a TV programme - which I believe(?) was titled: “Panorama goes comprehensive”; or anyone who has a copy of the programme (in full or part).  I have made an archive request to the BBC to see if it was archived.  I know clips have been used since in programmes like - “The 70s” and more recently “Back in time for school” (both BBC programmes).  Any help; recollection or memory would be gratefully received.

D9D45DD7-7FA5-4B94-A4A5-DF4C3F88EF68.jpeg

Fabulous thanks Edmund. I’m pretty sure that’s the programme I’m interested in and trying to track down. I’m sure Hurlfield school where I attended was filmed in ‘74 which would fit with this broadcast date.  I know Rowlinson school were also filmed - I have no recollection of the other schools which were involved?

I was at Hurlfield at that time. I wasn't featured on it though. I do recall that the teachers thought that Panorama had done an smear job on the school! 

Thank you for responding.

How would I get in touch with Sheffield History members who have previously commented on similar threads in the past (e.g. Henry Pond; and Cool Hand Sax?

14 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

Thank you for responding.

How would I get in touch with Sheffield History members who have previously commented on similar threads in the past (e.g. Henry Pond; and Cool Hand Sax?

You can message them using the envelope on the blue bit on top of the screen. Click on it and you will see compose. Send it to the user name you want.

2 hours ago, History dude said:

You can message them using the envelope on the blue bit on top of the screen. Click on it and you will see compose. Send it to the user name you want.

Brilliant thank you

I was seen onscreen when they filmed part of a play we were performing at that time under the tutelage of the wonderful Meg Jepson. I'm certain Myers Grove was featured as the 'good' to our 'bad'. Julian Pettifer was the reporter who came to Hurlfield. Would love to see a clip.

That rings a bell (?). I dimly recall seeing this programme, and that Myers Grove was portrayed as a comprehensive school which was run along grammar school lines - the headmaster referred, for example, to something like "weeding out the louts in our midst". I don't know how close the depiction was to real life in the school.

The Head of Myers Grove, at the time, was "Bill" Hill....  He was a founder member of Sheffield's SDP ( now known as the Lib Dems)  He had some strong views and opinions on education in general and comprehensives in particular! His remarks were , I am told, something more like " seperating the Wheat from the Chaff"!

• Like 1

I am assuming no one has yet tracked down a copy of the documentary?  I have searched so far unsuccessfully too and would love to see it.   This article appears to have drawn some of it's comclusions about Hurlfield school from the Panorama episod1311980697_The_Guardian_Thu__Jun_5__1975_-Sheffadividedcity-HurlfieldSchoolExperiment.thumb.jpg.bc6fd6106b7f48800b2ca8514745257b.jpge.