Hello from Kent

MartinR

I was born in Sheffield in the 1950s.  Thae family home was opposite Meresbrook Park.  In 1959 my family moved south to the Black Country.  We moved back to Millhouses between 1965 and 1971 but then moved up north to Middlesbrough and then on to Whitley Bay.  I came south looking for a job in the 1980s and having acquired a wife, house and two kids am stuck here in exile.  Even after all these years I still regard myself as a Yorkshireman, though with a bit of affection for Tyneside.

I was once married to a Maid of Kent...or was it a Kentish Maid? She came from south of the Medway. She lived in God's County for very many years...but she never considered herself to even remotely being a Tyke....!

South and East of the Medway are Men/Maids of Kent.  North and West are Kentish.  The way I remember it is is "ish" is mot really Kent, more London suburbs, but whatever you do don't say that to a Kentish Man (it's akin to mixing up The County with that weird place in the west, beyond the Pennines).