Stanhope Road Intake

KDW

Hi All,

I've been living on Stanhope Road in Intake for about a year now and every time I walk past this building I always think that it must have been something important at some point in history. It really stands out compared to the rest of the surrounding houses on both Stanhope & Mansfield Road. Does anyone have any information on this building or if it used to be used for some purpose other than residential? It sits on the corner of Stanhope & Mansfield Road.

Regards,

- K

image.png.bf3ffe8ebc7c49e01f4f06d16b576d23.png

If I remember correctly, there used to be a corner shop and a chippie in Stanhope Road back in the 1970s. The shop by the Rex wasn't a Co-Op back then, it was some kind of cheap freezer centre I think.

When we lived in Intake up to the mid-60's, the Stanhope Rd chip shop was on left hand side (from Hollinsend Road) just by 'the dog leg' bend. There were x3 chip shops in the area at that time, Buxton's in the Alnwick Rd shopping centre, one on the left hand side at No. 59 Hollinsend Rd (going up the road towards Gleadless Church) and the Stanhope Rd chip shop. As kids we always thought the Stanhope Rd chips were the best! There was a gateway by the chip shop which lead to the playing fields. As far as I can remember the corner building - No 304 Mansfield Rd was a B&C Coop Grocers Shop with a butchers shop next door. Eventually the Coop closed and moved across the road to site by the Rex Cinema.

Wazzie Worrall.

13 hours ago, Oldbloke said:

If I remember correctly, there used to be a corner shop and a chippie in Stanhope Road back in the 1970s. The shop by the Rex wasn't a Co-Op back then, it was some kind of cheap freezer centre I think.

Was Marshall’s in ‘83?

E974CDBB-29A3-4BF4-9B81-217756AB842F.jpeg

On 27/02/2020 at 20:51, KDW said:

Hi All,

I've been living on Stanhope Road in Intake for about a year now and every time I walk past this building I always think that it must have been something important at some point in history. It really stands out compared to the rest of the surrounding houses on both Stanhope & Mansfield Road. Does anyone have any information on this building or if it used to be used for some purpose other than residential? It sits on the corner of Stanhope & Mansfield Road.

Regards,

- K

image.png.bf3ffe8ebc7c49e01f4f06d16b576d23.png

You also live on a road quoted in a Pulp song so you can also live in the knowledge that Jarvis Cocker once wandered down it to a girls house - maybe it was yours!

On 28/02/2020 at 22:30, RLongden said:

Was Marshall’s in ‘83?

E974CDBB-29A3-4BF4-9B81-217756AB842F.jpeg

I couldn't remember the name, but it is over 40  years since I once ventured in there. :) 

4 minutes ago, tozzin said:

I always thought he lived on Stanhope Road.

Previous post on SH from 2007, with some clues to where he did actually live.....

On 28/02/2020 at 01:40, History dude said:

Could this be it?

Picture Sheffield Co-Op

On 28/02/2020 at 05:32, RLongden said:

Good spot @History dude. It gets my vote lol

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s10589&pos=1&action=zoom&id=13648

Odd that the modern version should be just across the road, by the site of the old Rex Cinema?

Thats fantastic, what a great find. I always knew there was something different about that house! Thanks for the info.

For a long time, that building was a Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall, certainly in the 80's/'90s before it converted to a private residence.