Hodgson Street Sheffield 3

Trevor Warrs

I wonder if anyone on here can help me.

I lived on Hodgson Street until it was demolished in 1962 and I'm trying to establish who lived on the street when I did in the 1950s. My first port of call was a Kelly'y Directory for 1957 which I downloaded. Big disappointment. For some reason the section of Hodgson Street that I lived on between Clarence Street and Hanover Street on the odd number did did not record the names and numbers of the street facing houses yet the even numbers were recorded, Very odd.

Does anyone have access to any Kelly's Directories pre or post 1957 that record the names for this section and the part between Hanover Street and William Street. It also seems odd that Kelly's didn't record the names of people who lived in the courts they were the invisible residents.

Names I can remember from my childhood are

125 Priest

123 Warrs

121 either Crossley or Furniss

119 Barker

117 Jackson

115 Vera ??

111 I think was the Wests

Court 23 Hodder, Marshall ans Whitehead

Court 21 Goff/Gough,, Higgins, Hague, Morton

If anyone would like lookups for 1957 please let me know.happy to help.

Many thanks in advance.

Hodgson Street Kellys 1957.jpg

Thanks for that. I think mum and dad moved there when they were married 1936.

I thought the census was only published every 100 years. Have they charged the rules? If so could you tell me where you got the information because I would like to see the whole of the street and some of those surrounding it.

Thanks, Trevor

The 1939 census (or, properly, register) is available via FindMyPast.  Some information about it from FMP:

The 1931 census was destroyed by fire. No census was taken in 1941 because of the war. So the 1939 register is the only national census-like resource available for this period.

Once war became inevitable the British Government knew they had to issue National Identity cards. They planned for the wide-scale mobilisation of the population and the eventual introduction of rationing. The most recent census was now almost a decade old, so more up-to-date statistics were needed. Some preparations had already begun for the 1941 census, so the Government capitalised on this to take a register of the civilian population. They issued Identity cards immediately afterwards (which were used until 1952). The Government constantly updated and changed the 1939 Register over time to take account of changes of address or deaths. When they introduced rationing in 1941, they planned it with information from the 1939 Register. The 1939 Register eventually formed the basis of the NHS registration system.

2 hours ago, Trevor Warrs said:

I wonder if anyone on here can help me.

I lived on Hodgson Street until it was demolished in 1962 and I'm trying to establish who lived on the street when I did in the 1950s. My first port of call was a Kelly'y Directory for 1957 which I downloaded. Big disappointment. For some reason the section of Hodgson Street that I lived on between Clarence Street and Hanover Street on the odd number did did not record the names and numbers of the street facing houses yet the even numbers were recorded, Very odd.

Does anyone have access to any Kelly's Directories pre or post 1957 that record the names for this section and the part between Hanover Street and William Street. It also seems odd that Kelly's didn't record the names of people who lived in the courts they were the invisible residents.

Names I can remember from my childhood are

125 Priest

123 Warrs

121 either Crossley or Furniss

119 Barker

117 Jackson

115 Vera ??

111 I think was the Wests

Court 23 Hodder, Marshall ans Whitehead

Court 21 Goff/Gough,, Higgins, Hague, Morton

If anyone would like lookups for 1957 please let me know.happy to help.

Many thanks in advance.

Hodgson Street Kellys 1957.jpg

FMP doesn't have any Kellys Directories access.  The most user friendly way to access Sheffield directories (though only Kellys for 1925) is via Sheffield Indexers website:

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/DirectoriesIndex.html

1843-65          Sheffield Burgess Rolls     

1875-76          Sheffield Burgess Rolls

1787               Gales & Martin Directory of Sheffield          

1791               Universal British Directory         

1825               Gell's Directory of Sheffield          

1828-29          Pigot's Commercial Directory         

1833               White's History & Directory of Sheffield          

1837               White's Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham      

1841               Henry & Thos. Rodgers Sheffield & Rotherham Directory         

1846               Slater's Directory of Sheffield          

1852               White's Gazetteer & General Directory of Sheffield          

1862               Drake's Directory of Rotherham & District             

1871               White's Directory of Sheffield & District             

1905               White's Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham      

1911               White's Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham      

1914-1918     Roll of Honour Sheffield Men

1925               Kelly's Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham

1929               Kind Hearted Brigade Members - The Weekly Telegraph

1859-1908      Sheffield Cemetery Road Congregational Church Members   

1866-1934      Sheffield Anglican Clergy

Hi don't know if this is helpful to you but my grandmother lived on Hodgson St until 1952 when she died, she lived at number 73 her name was Warrington, I know a family across the road from her were called Footer  I know they had a daughter called Margaret

but I don't know what number they lived at or when they moved out as I was only about seven when my grandmother died but I remember the house very well, back to back house

Janet

On 27/02/2020 at 08:37, Down Under said:

Hi don't know if this is helpful to you but my grandmother lived on Hodgson St until 1952 when she died, she lived at number 73 her name was Warrington, I know a family across the road from her were called Footer  I know they had a daughter called Margaret

but I don't know what number they lived at or when they moved out as I was only about seven when my grandmother died but I remember the house very well, back to back house

Janet

Thanks Janet. Number 73 was not on the part of the street I lived on and I don't recognize the names. There was a Samuel Futter at number 74 in 1957 according to the Kelly's Directory I have a copy of. Regards, Trevor

15 minutes ago, Trevor Warrs said:

This is totally unrecognizable from the street I lived on as a child.

I can imagine

Are there any photos online of how it used to be?

6 minutes ago, Sheffield History said:

I can imagine

Are there any photos online of how it used to be?

Yes. If you go on picture sheffield and search Hidgson St. Some of them picture the house I used the live in and one includes my mother.

If any admin people read this can they please tell me why I have to change my password every time I login even though the system says it has changed my password?